Sunday, July 13, 2008

Stuffed Tomatoes




Weekend Wokking given birth in the home of Wandering Chopsticks is a monthly blogging event that takes on an Iron Chef type feel by celebrating a new single ingredient each month. The secret ingredient this month is ... (insert music crescendo here)... TOMATOES!!! The second informational bit for this blogging event is that there's a different host each month. The host(ess) for the Tomato challenge is Blazing Hot Wok . The beauty of Weekend Wokking is that the secret ingredient does NOT need to be made in a wok, nor does it need to follow an Asian theme. You can if you like, but certainly not a prerequisite for entry. Here is my entry, simple and delicious to Weekend Wokking.




Ingredients

2 Large firm tomatoes
1 1/2 cups diced chicken
1/4 cup blanched toasted almonds
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup fried crimini mushrooms
mayonnaise to taste
salt and pepper to taste
lettuce or field greens

Directions

1. Rather than scoop out the tomatoes, cut them into sixths, leaving the bottom uncut.

2. Push the sixths apart and you can fill them without cutting away any of the fruit.

3. Mix the chicken, almonds, celery, mushrooms, mayonnaise, salt and pepper and fill the tomatoes.

4. Serve on a bed of greens/lettuce. StumbleUpon

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome dish...love it. What a cool event.

Cakelaw said...

A very different and delicious way with tomatoes - love it.

Anonymous said...

Lovely presentation!

Ivy said...

Very creative and lovely presentation.

OhioMom said...

Oh yummy .. with tomatoes coming in season this is the perfect meal for me :)

grace said...

that's got to be the most picturesque dish i've seen all month. very nice! i would wait a full 5 seconds to appreciate its beauty before tearing into it. :)

Dee said...

Ah, this is more like it!
I've been blog hopping and piling on the pounds just reading some of the calorie-laden posts :(

It's time I skipped the sweeties for a bit, and ate my veg for a change. Thanks for a yummy recipe :)

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful--gorgeous photo, too. And now that I'm collecting ideas for the mounds of tomatoes I'm expecting from that tomato plant I have. . . I'll just set this aside for later!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Thanks for participating. I made stuffed tomatoes too, but our dishes look very different. Yours looks awesome! That's what I'm totally loving about this event. One ingredient with so many different presentations. And even in this case, similar interpretations, and still totally different presentations.

Dee said...

What a creative presentation! And perfect summer fare. Thank you!

glamah16 said...

What an elegant dish. When I saw the event and the dish I was confused. But now I see. This would be great for a luncheon.

test it comm said...

I was expecting the tomatoes to be baked, but I like the sound of stuffed fresh tomatoes!

Mary said...

Such a delicious and lovely looking dish! It would be perfect for a hot summer day like today.

PG said...

Did you seriously put celery in here? Who are you and what have you done to my mother?

giz said...

Psychgrad - alright already, I left out the celery, but it's supposed to have celery. You know me all too well....I hate celery.

Chef Jeena said...

Fabulous stuffed tomatoes Giz so healthy and beautifully presented.

shambo said...

A tomato stuffed with chicken salad -- what could be more fitting for these hot summer days. Especially with ripe tomatoes available.

By the way Giz, I'm another one who doesn't care for celery in many dishes. I find the flavor a bit overwhelming. I'm getting better, but I don't make a point of always having it around.

Emily said...

Oooh! That's so pretty. I love the presentation.

Patsyk said...

Looks like a perfect summer dish! I can't wait for the Jersey tomatoes to come in... so many new recipes to try this summer!

Fitness Foodie said...

What a beautiful presentation, looks great. I noticed your pic from Peru....when did you go? I was there in 2005 - great views eh?

PG said...

Peru? Are you sure that was us? The only travel photos I've posted here are of France. Never been to Peru. But, I did see some friends' pictures from Peru and Machu Picchu and it looked awesome.

Fitness Foodie said...

Sorry your pic looked like Machu Pichu, but now that I look closer I see it is not. France eh? Going this fall, can't wait.

Anonymous said...

This looks perfect for a summer dish. You put it together so nicely - very elegant.

xoxox Amy

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning! Very creative presentation.

Ruth Strong said...

What a great event. love your entry for it!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark