Friday, October 31, 2008

Gingerbread Cake




It's been a very long day of work and I decided to take a short break and just take a roam around the blog world. I stopped in to see Camilla at Enlightened Cooking and found a recipe called Moist, Dark Gingerbread. I commented and told her I was going straight into the kitchen to make it. I'm so sure she read it and said "Ya ya, whatever". Not only did I go into the kitchen straight away to make it, I doubled the recipe. I'm such a sucker for gingerbread.

Here's the original recipe on Camilla's blog.

Ingredients

1 and 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 and 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
1/2 cup molasses (dark Molasses, such as Grandma’s Brand)
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Optional: powdered sugar for sprinkling

Method

Preheat oven to 350°. Spray an 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray (or line with parchment or foil).

Whisk the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl

Whisk the brown sugar, buttermilk, molasses, melted butter and egg in a large bowl. Stir in flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake 27-28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Sprinkle gingerbread with powdered sugar. Makes 12 generous pieces.

Camilla, if you're listening, this cake is wonderful. It's 5 minutes to put together and the result is indeed moist and delicious. Thanks for the great recipe. StumbleUpon

29 comments:

Camilla said...

Giz! I am so flattered that you made the gingerbread! And I'm delighted to find your blog--I've been reading some back posts and I love your writing (and recipes :)) I'll be back--often!

Julia said...

Ben, I think you do need to change that :-) Especially looking at that recipe! Looks fantastic!

alexandra's kitchen said...

I love gingerbread, too. there's something about this time of year that gets me thinking about it, too. this recipe sounds particularly good. i think buttermilk makes all cakes delicious!

kat said...

Oh I bet those smelled fantastic, the smell of the holidays

Anonymous said...

I, too, have never tasted gingerbread, even though it sounds like something I'd love!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Giz, I'm such a sucker for gingerbread too, I've never made it, but I'm always buying some good like gb cookies you find this time of year. I love that spicy flavor. This sounds so easy I have everything but the molasses!!

Deeba PAB said...

I love gingerbread & this looks especially good...Love the 'ya ya whatever'...LOL! Happens ever so often doesn't it! Wish I could make some too; molasses are something that have been elusive here for a while now.

Bunny said...

This looks so moist,what a great cake recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us.

shambo said...

Gingerbread is my favorite cake. Yours looks wonderful. Thanks for posting the recipe; I like the use of whole wheat flour.

RecipeGirl said...

I'm going right into my kitchen to make this... just kidding. :)

It does look wonderful. It's definitely the time of year to begin thinking about gingerbread recipes.

Anonymous said...

Oh it is dark and lovely, what a beautiful Fall treat!

That Girl said...

ooohhh it's almost gingerbread season isn't it!

Lori said...

I love ginger bread and especially in Paula Deens' Gingerbread triffle. YOW!

OhioMom said...

Oh my this looks good, and I have a feeling this will be baked in my kitchen this week. Yummy!

grace said...

it looks deliciously moist. i much prefer a soft cake to a hard, crunchy cookie, even if they're shaped like little men. very nice. :)

Nic said...

That looks DELICIOUS! Perfect for this time of year.

Lori Lynn said...

I made a gingerbread trifle last year but (no baker me) bought the gingerbread at Trader Joe's. Yours looks scrumptious.

Peter M said...

I love dark & spicy cakes...and this one's moist looking too.

It reminds me of a Greek karydopita (walnut cake).

Emily said...

I saw this the other day. Well, now I have to try it! It sounds and looks delicious. I love spicy cakes.

Adam said...

I'm a gingerbread sucker too, Giz. I think it's all about the spice for awesome breath we all have afterwards :)

Pam said...

I love gingerbread and this cake looks fantastic. I will be bookmarking this recipe.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It has been years since I have tried gingerbread. I love it with sauteed apples and cinnamon laced whipped cream:D

Cakelaw said...

I love ginger anything, and this looks like a fine gingerbread.

Fifi Flowers said...

YUM! Sounds delicious!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Good evening Giz, It's election night in Chicago and I just put your gingerbread cake in the oven, and a pot of coffee on, as we await the results!! My house is smellling good!!

giz said...

Proud Italian Cook - I'm also watching the election and hope the cake makes you feel warm all over -especially when the right candidate wins.

Cakebrain said...

Yum! it smells like Christmas already! Looks so moist and delicious!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Giz, The cake was great! Were having leftovers for dessert tonight. It was very moist as you said, with just the right touch of spicyness. I knew I was gonna love it. Thanks again!
Marie

Crispinus said...

What a great idea for a blog! Terrific reading.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark