HAPPY CANADA DAY
Canada Day, also known as Canada's Birthday is known as a day of celebration by Canadians at home and abroad. Equally as significant on this day is the Oath of Citizenship ceremony that takes place welcoming immigrants as new Canadians (officially). I was once one who took that oath and feel very proud to be called a Canadian. A country of diversity, what could be more appropriate to prepare than an ethnic dish that speaks to an immigrant group that has brought us their culture and their cuisine.
My contribution to the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club is a Thai Seafood Salad. All the elements of typical Thai cuisine come through in this dish with a depth of texture that makes my mouth extremely happy.
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 ounces sea scallops
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chile paste with garlic
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat, drained and shell pieces removed
- 2 fresh lemongrass stalks, trimmed and thinly sliced (I omitted this)
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1. Bring 1/4 cup water to a simmer in a large skillet. Add scallops to pan; cover and cook 3 minutes or until done. Remove scallops from pan with a slotted spoon; pat scallops dry with paper towels. Place scallops in a large bowl. Add shrimp to simmering water in pan; cover and cook 3 minutes or until done. Drain well; add to scallops.
2. While scallops and shrimp cook, combine lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and chile paste; stir to dissolve sugar.
3. Add juice mixture, bell pepper, and remaining ingredients to scallop mixture; toss gently to combine.
What are the others in the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club doing?
Val from More Than Burnt Toast made a salad of Marinated Mozzarella and Pepper (like the red and white theme going on here)
Shelby of The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch with a main of Lobster RollsSandi from The Whistlestop Cafe Cooking made Grilled Zucchini with Caprese Salad.
Helene of La Cuisine Helene.com/ made Fresh Squeezed Limonade
Jerry from Jerry's Thoughts Musings and Rants brought Strawberry Parfaits for dessert.
I'd say we've got quite the picnic - wouldn't you?