Last week we took a trip to visit Giz in Toronto. I spent a couple of days cooking and baking to fill up her freezer. I made a vegetarian version of taco soup, chicken soup, a ground chicken bolognese and banana oatmeal muffins. I also wanted to use up some of the rhubarb I had pulled from my garden and transported with me. R found this delicious recipe!
Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 cup chopped fresh rhubarb
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Make crumb topping by combining all topping ingredients and stirring with a fork. Set aside.
3. Whisk together buttermilk, egg, vanilla, and applesauce in a large bowl. Set aside.
4. Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
5. Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
6. Fold in strawberries and rhubarb.
7. Put into muffin tin.
8. Top with a light layer of crumb topping.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned on the top