Thursday, September 15, 2016

Lemon Muffins for School



Where have we been???  I know, I know, we've been so AWOL and there are a million excuses but none that are really convincing.  I mean, we're still cooking and still eating but let it be known, life has changed a whole lot.

My kids are grown and just when I thought I was done, I have a new role.  Psychgrad and "R" now have 2 children - E and K.  E is now 4 and just started JK.  Hard to believe.  K will be 2 this month.  I guess I'm kind of freaking out a little.  I never really imagined myself as a grandmother but here I am in my new role.  The interesting thing is that I quite like it - truly the best club in the world to be in.

The whole JK thing seems to have taken Psychgrad and R for a bit of a rethinking of their menu planning.  All of a sudden E isn't getting meals in daycare anymore and now the bento box lunch kit has to include lunch, mid day and after school snacks.

R jumped in with creating interesting, fun and healthy lunches and snacks.  I'm loving that he made  these delicious  Martha Stewart lemon mini muffins.  Here's how;

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling (optional)
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest plus 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, zest, juice, and milk. Whisk in butter. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, until just combined. 
  2. Divide batter evenly between muffin cups, adding a scant 1/4 cup to each. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired. Bake until tops spring back when lightly touched, about 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pan, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. 


    You'll notice how grown up E has become showing off her choice of nail polish as she models her Mini Lemon Muffins.

    So now, the big question.  What interesting things are you doing for your kids for lunches?  We're looking for great recommendations on quick, easy, healthy and most of all KID FRIENDLY!!  Your help with this will ensure parental mental stability and will make the grandmother look like a hero!!!


StumbleUpon

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark