Friday, January 4, 2008

Roasted Tomato and Goat Cheese Bruschetta


My second New Year's appetizer didn't work out quite as well as the first. I'm not sure what exactly I did wrong, because my final product doesn't look like the picture in the cookbook.



But there are some definite thing I would change when making this recipe for a 2nd time (and I will, eventually, give it a 2nd attempt). First of all, I would use smaller tomatoes. Although I did use plum tomatoes, as suggested by the recipe (below), they were on the large side as far as plum tomatoes go. So, when they were roasting, the didn't reduce to the size you see in the picture above. Also, I would use a better baguette - I'll go to a good bakery instead of the grocery store. I'll also use less topping on the tomato. The topping seemed to look a bit burnt. It didn't taste burnt, but it wasn't as appealing looking. Finally, I will not serve the bruschetta as an appetizer when it isn't a sit down meal. It was really hard to time the food - making both the chicken baskets and the bruschetta (both because of oven space and guests being fashionably late). By the time we started eating, the bruschetta wasn't very warm. Plus, the tomatoes (perhaps because of size) were quite juicy, so it made for messy eating since we weren't sitting a table.

I'm trying out Photobucket. I kind of like their slideshow option.



8 plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp port
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1.5 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 slices baguette
4 oz (125 g) soft goat cheese

makes 8 pieces

Preheat oven to 450 (230 Celcius).

Toss tomatoes in oil and place sliced-side up in a roasing pan. Combine garlic, shallots, port, vinegar, herbs and salt and pepper. Spoon mixture over tomatoes and roast for 30-35 minutes or until tomatoes are browned and tender. Meanwhile, toast baguette slices. Spread each with 1/2 oz (15g) goat cheese and top with 2 roasted tomato halves.

I made a double recipe...I should have made a single recipe, at most. StumbleUpon

1 comment:

JustMe said...

i like the slideshow!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark