Monday, February 11, 2008

Baked Acorn Squash





After spending many years wondering about the mystery of these unique looking vegetables, I started easing myself in by firstly using them as table centerpieces for Halloween and Thanksgiving. I didn't have a clue how to cook them but they were colourful and came in such an interesting variety of shapes and sizes.

I've come to learn that cooking squash is absolutely one of the easiest things to do. The result is a non fuss, full proof, healthy and really delicious outcome.

1 acorn squash halved and scooped out
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp maple syrup





1. Mix together brown sugar, melted butter and maples syrup
2. Brush inside of squash with your mix
3. Bake in 400 degree F oven for 1 hour



Note: The only thing I would have done differently in this recipe is add more of the brown sugar/maple syrup mix. It does add a wonderful sweetness and flavour.
In this recipe I actually made 4 acorn squash and this syrup recipe is enough for 4 as well. StumbleUpon

3 comments:

That Girl said...

That was one of my favorite fall treats growing up. We even got to eat it right out of the "shell."

giz said...

Now there's something I hadn't heard of before - eating them right out of the shell. Yet another thing to try.

Emily said...

Mmm, I love acorn squash.
Especially with maple syrup and brown sugar.

I like to roast them, but microwaving them is so much faster!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark