Friday, March 12, 2010

Chili


I recently had the opportunity to meet Don from foodiePrints, a local foodblogger. I've been following his blog for a while now and it has been a great source of information about food and the food scene in Ottawa.

It's ironic that I met him, since I was just thinking about his recent post on the "6 Classic Dishes Everyone Should Know How to Make", which orginated on Style Caster.

1.Chicken Noodle Soup
2.Meat Lasagna
3.Beef Stew
4.Roast Chicken
5.Chili
6.Chocolate Cake

I immediately started to think about my poor chili-making skills. Despite having resolved to include more beans in my diet, I still haven't developed a taste for beans (head hanging from defeat).

Then...things started to turn around. I got involved in Adopt-a-Blogger 4 (a hugely successful initiative by Kristen and Dine and Dish) and met my new adopted blogger!


Let me introduce you to Ed at Detroit Eats. Ed is a chef in Detroit who is passionate about good food. He recently started foodblogging and has hit the ground running.

Ed recently posted a Vegetarian Chili recipe that sounded interesting and seem like a good push for me to cook with beans.

Detroit Eat's Vegetarian Chili (or not so vegetarian if you add beef)


1 medium onion diced
2 stalks of celery diced
1 carrot diced
1 tablespoon on minced garlic
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 tablespoon Chili Powder
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 can diced tomato (14.5 oz)
3 cups vegetable stock or water
salt to taste
1 can kidney beans,drained and rinsed
1 can black beans,drained and rinsed
1 square bittersweet chocolate
3-4 tablespoon cornmeal


Sauté Onion,Celery,Carrot and garlic in vegetable oil for approx 2 minutes
Add Chili powder,cumin and Italian seasoning and continue sautéing until vegetable become translucent.
Add diced tomato, vegetable stock and bring to a boil.Then lower to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes.
Add both cans of bean and simmer for 15 minute longer.
Add chocolate square (for depth of flavour) and stir until melted.
Sprinkle cornmeal on the top of the Chili and then stir in well (used as a thickener and adds flavour).
Allow to simmer until thickened.
Serve with your favorite topping

PG's notes: I altered the recipe by adding 1 lb of ground beef. I also decided to use fresh beans rather than canned. I figure, go big or go home on the bean exploration. So, I soaked my beans overnight.


The chocolate does make for an interesting addition. Never would have thought of it.


Verdict: Good flavour, I probably will need to cook the beans longer next time. I'd like to try making this recipe again.

Pleast take a minute and go visit Ed to welcome him to the foodblogging community. StumbleUpon

9 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I found that adopting a bloogger is such a learning experience for both of you. You have already mastered chili!!

grace said...

ah...vegetarian chili with beef. i like the sound of that. :)

noble pig said...

I love chili and this looks divine!

Hopie said...

All sorts of cool adoptees on the horizon! Is Detroit Eats my brother blog then? I'll have to check it out. And I'll have to try this chili recipe. It sure looks like a good one.

Ed Schenk said...

Thanks for the nod!!

CDC said...

looks great! chocolate huh? that is very interesting!

That Girl said...

Yee gods, but I do love chili!

Julie said...

Hi! I am Hopie's adoptee! Glad to find your blog to add to my list of reads.

The chili looks awesome! We're just coming to the end of true chili season here in the midwest.

kat said...

I agree a good chili is something everyone should know how to make. Its one of our winter go-tos. Now a chocolate cake would be a bit harder for me

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark