Sunday, September 5, 2010

Lattice Apple Blueberry Cake


I love it when I can take out my food processor and put together a cake in no time. I'm just not sure how my own mother survived without one. This one is fun to make and the outcome made me do a happy dance.




Dough

1 medium seedless orange (peel and all)
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder

Filling

4 apples, peeled, cored and halved
3/4 cup white or brown sugar
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, well drained
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Cut orange* in four, but do not peel. Insert steel knife in processor. Process orange until fine, about 20-25 seconds. Add remaining ingredients for dough and process until mixed, about 12-15 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl if necessary. Press 2/3 of the dough into the bottom and 1" up the sides of a greased 10" springform pan. Reserve remaining dough for topping, flouring it lightly.

Slice apples (either on slicer attachment or by hand). You want thin slices. Transfer to a bowl and mix with remaining ingredients for filling. Spread evenly over dough in pan.

Flour your hands to facilitate handling of dough for lattice topping. Roll pieces of dough between your palms into thin ropes and arrange in a criss-cross design to form lattice work over filling.

Bake at 350 F for about 1 hour, until golden brown. Check with a sharp knife to make sure the apples are softened. Cool completely. Sprinkle with icing sugar if desired.

This cake is a great make ahead - freezes well.

Note: You could also make this in a greased 9x13 baking pan.

This is another one of those easy to prepare and really tasty Norene Gilletz recipes. Norene is my go to queen for uncomplicated and tastes good.

* As Norene said to me - the oranges lately are on steroids so make sure you use only a medium sized orange. I had a larger orange and had to make adjustments so that it all held together. StumbleUpon

8 comments:

Norene Gilletz said...

"Orange-you" happy that you have a food processor? Great post. Thanks for mentioning me. Make sure to wash the orange well first before processing - so many pesticides out there!

Norene Gilletz
http://www.gourmania.com

Sherry G said...

That cake looks awesome! I love how the top of it turned out. I don't own a food processor=( But I wish I did!

FOODalogue said...

I so agree with Norene. I do not cut into any fruit or vegetable without washing it first even if the skin is going in the garbage.

And about that cake...it looks so fluffy and I love that it has 3 fruits in it.

cocoa and coconut said...

This my kind of cake! Beautiful, delicious, fantastic...what more can I say?!?! YUM

Avril said...

What a gorgeous and unique cake! I had to read the recipe over a couple of times to realize that, yes, you do add a WHOLE orange (rind and all) into the crust batter - I am correct aren't I?

Wonderful cake that I plan on making this Fall with the apples I pick and the frozen blueberries I have frozen from this Summer's picking. Thank you!

Cyndy said...

Simply stunning. it's so beautiful I might have a hard time cutting into it...........NOT. This my kind of dessert!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I'm doing a happy dance for you Giz:D Now isn't that a mental picture we can get our heads around.

That Girl said...

This is GORGEOUS

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark