Sunday, January 9, 2011

Pomegranate Salad


My mom has fallen for R's tricks one too many times... As the story goes about the Boy Who Cried Wolf - now she assumes that everything he says is a lie or a set-up for some sort of trick.

Gotta love the trusting relationship, eh?

Sometimes this lack of trust plays out in weird ways. For example. during a previous trip to Toronto, my mom mentioned that she would be making a salad to go with dinner. R excitedly exclaimed, "Will it have pomegranate seeds in it?!?"

A suspicious look overtook my mom's face and she said, "Why?"

He gave the obvious answer: "I like pomegranate seeds".

"I don't believe you", she retorted.

"You don't believe that I like pomegranate seeds? I do....last time we were here you made a salad with pomegranate seeds in it and I really liked it". Of course -- by this point, R was laughing at my mom because she was making such a stink about him lying about liking pomegranate seeds, so the laughing made him seem even more suspicious.

Now fully engaged in detective mode, Giz said, "You're telling me you remember that there were pomegranate seeds in the salad and you just happen to want them again? You're not telling me something. What is this? Are you making fun of me? What's so special about pomegranate seeds?"

Of course, I'm just sitting back and watching the whole thing (I always know when R is lying and knew that he just genuinely wanted pomegranate seeds in his salad).

The conversation left off with my mom agreeing to put pomegranate seeds in the salad but still convinced that there was some sort of insider pomegranate conspiracy against her.

I can't help but think of this story every time I see a pomegranate. So, of course, I have to tell you about in this post since I'm showing you the pomegranate salad with pomegranate dressing I made for dinner yesterday.


The salad was a mix of fruit (strawberries and tomatoes, pomegranate), vegetables (lettuce, cucumber, greenpepper), cheese (feta), nuts (almonds) and cooked mushrooms.


From one pomegranate, I got a 1/2 cup of pomegranate juice. I used that just in this recipe:

Pomegranate Vinaigrette

1/2 cup fresh or bottled pomegranate juice
1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup olive oil (not extra-virgin) or sunflower oil
Salt and pepper
Pomegranate seeds, for garnish
1 tablespoon chopped chives, for garnish (excluded)
Preparation:

In a medium bowl, mix the pomegranate juice, vinegar and honey, and let sit for 10 minutes. Whisk in the oil and adjust the seasonings. Mix in pomegranate seeds and chives, if using. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Stir thoroughly before using.

I also added a bit of dijon mustard to try to thicken it up a bit.



Delicious!


Go check out Chaya's "Let's Do Brunch" event at My Sweet and Savoury. This dish would be a great addition to a brunch menu. StumbleUpon

10 comments:

giz said...

That salad looks amazing PG - impressive - and you've told that story perfectly. You're right, I'm always suspicious of R since he's always playing practical jokes on me - like "could you drive downtown and see if the restaurant we went to found my glove"... and at the end of the conversation says "don't worry about the glove, I just found it"

PG said...

Or...that he called you yesterday pretending to be the army preparing to come clear up the snow in Toronto...

That Girl said...

This is definitely the perfect mix for a salad. And I'm on a pomegranate kick this week. I out a half in each of our lunches Friday and spent a good 5 minutes in the office de-seeding it so I didn't end up with red juice all over my suit

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Ha, ha. You guys make me smile. I like pomegranate arials in my salad and I am not trying to trick you. I always associate them with the holidays so I will celebrate more.

pam said...

Too funny!

kat said...

So colorful! Sounds like R is quite the jokester

nanny said...

One of the best looking salads I think I have ever seen! Oh I love salad!!!! I bought pomegranate arils (in plastic bowls) at Sam's before christmas and just ate them with a spoon!!! So delicious!

Anonymous said...

I did a Pom party and I am so tired of seeing pomegranates...this salad is so refreshing.

Great Job!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This sounds like a phenomenal salad. The idea of the fruit and nuts mixed with the veggies is a great blend.

If you have a moment, would you like to link this to Let's Do Brunch? IT sounds like the perfect meal for a brunch.

http://sweetsav.blogspot.com/2011/01/lets-do-brunch-11.html

Hopie said...

Hahaha, that's a funny story. I just recently made a salad with pomegranate seeds in it for a large event (no, seriously Giz, I did, not lying). It was "mache" lettuce (a bit like watercress) with blue cheese and pomegranate seeds. It was the first time I'd had them in salad and they're really good!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark