Monday, June 27, 2011

Dempsters Thin Bagels with Home Made Strawberry Jam



I really and truly love it when a new product is introduced that makes me say "wow...cool". Dempster's has come out with the first complete line of 100 calorie thin bagels in Canada. Sorry rest of the world, they're only available in parts of Canada. But...you just never know so read on.





You're definitely reading that right - 100 Calories which is less than half the calories of a regular bagel.

These new thin bagels hit the bakery aisle of major grocers across Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada on March 16, 2011. If you love bagels and want to practice portion control, isn't it nice to finally be able to say yes, I can have a bagel and not feel guilty about the carbs. AND, you have three varieities to choose from: White with Whole Grains, Multigrain 100% Whole Grains and Cinnamon Raisin. They're also low in saturated fat, and contain no trans fat or cholesterol.



Are you in Ontario, Quebec or one of the Atlantic Provinces??? Tell me what you think, how else you might incorporate them into your family's mealtime or even which is your favourite variety. I think I'm leaning to the whole grain. The only thing I found missing were the calories. Where can you get them? Co-op Atlantic, Food Basics, Freshco, IGA, Metro, Price Choppers, Sobeys, Super C and Walmart. Interestingly, I found them at a small local grocer.

I had my bagels so now do I just eat them plain? toasted? create a breakfast/brunch dish with them. I'd been at the market the day before and picked up a flat of local strawberries. My inspiration came from Psychgrad who had called a while earlier and I could hear the popping seal of her canning jars - she had also made jam. I went over to the Bernardin site just to make sure I knew what I was doing. Here's the recipe as it's written on the Bernardin site. I know it's a no/no to double recipes when preserving but I did and I got lucky; it turned out fine.








No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin lets you control the type and/or quantity of sweetener in fruit spreads. Make fruit spreads with no added sweetener, sugar replacements like SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, or small quantities of granulated sugar. Follow directions carefully!

Makes about 4 to 6 x 250 ml jars (depending on chosen sweetener)

4 cups (1000 ml) crushed strawberries
1 cup (250 ml) unsweetened apple or white grape juice
1 pkg (49 g) BERNARDIN® No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin
Sweetener – if using:
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener
OR
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) granulated sugar

• Place 4 clean 250 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat to a simmer (180°F/82°C). Set screw bands aside. Heat SNAP LID® sealing discs in hot water, not boiling (180°F/82°C). Keep jars and sealing discs hot until ready to use.

• Crush strawberries one layer at a time. Measure crushed strawberries and fruit juice into a large, deep stainless steel saucepan. Whisk in No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin until dissolved.

• If using sweetener, measure SPLENDA® or sugar and set aside.
• Stirring constantly, bring fruit mixture to a boil over high heat.
o If using, add sweetener (sugar or SPLENDA®) and return mixture to a boil.
Stirring frequently, boil 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Skim foam.

• Quickly ladle hot jam into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) of top of jar (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if required, by adding more jam. Wipe jar rim removing any food residue. Centre hot sealing disc on clean jar rim. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip tight. Return filled jar to rack in canner. Repeat for remaining jam.

• When canner is filled, ensure that all jars are covered by at least one inch (2.5 cm) of water. Cover canner and bring water to full rolling boil before starting to count processing time. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m), process –boil filled jars – 10 minutes.

• When processing time is complete, remove canner lid, wait 5 minutes, then remove jars without tilting and place them upright on a protected work surface. Cool upright, undisturbed 24 hours; DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.

• After cooling check jar seals. Sealed discs curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place. For best quality, use home canned foods within one year.
The combination of a toasted Dempster's bagel slathered with light cream cheese and sugar free home made strawberry jam - I have no words and even better, I feel absolutely no guilt.




Val from More Than Burnt Toast is coming for a visit next month for our blogger get together. If you're hearing about the get together for the first time and live locally, you're more than welcome to come - just contact Val or me for all the information. We're also planning to make a dish together that follows the theme of this post so stay tuned.

StumbleUpon

6 comments:

pam said...

100 calorie bagels!!! I am jealous!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Yes we will be cooking up a storm in the kitchen Mary!!!!!!!!!Can't wait to see meet up with you again!

That Girl said...

We have Bagel thins here in the US - just not by Dempsters. My mom loves them. Me, I don't want to give up the real thing (or as close as we can get here in CA)

kat said...

I need to try low sugar jams I've been doing the full sugar kind so far

purabi naha said...

Hi. I am your new foodbuzz friend. I am all ready for this homemade goodness of strawberry jam with bagel thins...What a nice concept!
Hope you'll visit my blog too.

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Mmm I love homemade jam and this looks delish!! Loving your blog and so glad to be your newest follower! :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark