Monday, November 14, 2011

Oven-Roasted Tomatoes


This was my second year of gardening. Although it's still a learning process (which I intend to post about in the near future), it was definitely more productive than my first year. Here are just some of the tomatoes I pulled from the garden:





As the tomatoes kept coming, I knew that there would be no way for me to eat all of them before they went bad. So, I decided to oven roast and freeze some of the small and medium tomatoes.


Oven-Roasted Tomatoes

olive oil
tomatoes, sliced in half
garlic, crushed
salt and pepper


Preheat oven to 200F.

Place tomatoes, slice side up on cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Spread garlic over top and add salt (sparingly) and pepper. You can, of course, experiment with whatever other herb flavours you'd like.

The tomatoes will slow-roast. I kept mine in for about 2.5 hours. But, take a look at them every once in a while and remove them when they're done to your liking.

Lesson learned: used parchment paper.




Gardening Notes:

Although I was thrilled to have a better crop of tomatoes this year, 95% of the yield came from 2 plants that had prime property in the sun and the remaining 8 plants were lackluster.

Next year, I'm going to make sure the tomatoes have a better spot in the sun, keep on top of the plants that are growing like weeds and pinch off plants to keep my green tomatoes a fighting chance of ripening as it gets later in the season; I ended up with a lot of green tomatoes at the end of the season.

StumbleUpon

8 comments:

pam said...

There is nothing so good as oven-roasted tomatoes. Having them in the freezer makes me feel good :)

Patsyk said...

Probably the best way to enjoy tomatoes all year long! That's wonderful that you had such a good crop of tomatoes this year!

FOODalogue said...

You've got a thumb! They're beautiful.

That Girl said...

I just started oven roasting this year because sun drying was not working out for me!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Green tomatoes are another prize for me from the garden to make fried green tomatoes. Back in the day I used to even make chutney. I don't know why I don't do any canning these days.

cocoa and coconut said...

The simplest techniques of cooking or preparing food can sometimes be the tastiest! This is the perfect example.

I love looking at the variety of colour..those tomatoes are just gorgeous!

Pickles said...

How great that you're getting fresh tomatoes out of YOUR garden in November. You're so lucky!

PG said...

Pickles -- I wish! I'm just behind on my posting. These are from September.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark