Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pickled Sugar Snap Peas


Speaking to my friend, I was asking about recipes that could work for an every night or entertainment table.  I love foods with colour and texture and love love integrating something new.  My friend shared with me that she saw something really interesting and that she would send me the recipe.

I couldn't imagine pickling sugar snap peas but I did and I love them and as long as I can find sweet peas I'll be making sure I have these in the house.






Adapted from The Joy of Pickling via Epicurious

1 1/4 cups white distilled vinegar
1 1/4 cups cold water
1 tablespoon kosher or pickling salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 pound sugar snap peas, stems trimmed and strings removed
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 or 2 small dried chile peppers, slit lengthwise or a couple pinches dried red pepper flakes



In a nonreactive saucepan, heat the vinegar with the salt and sugar until they are dissolved. Remove from the heat, and add the cold water. (This gives you a leg up on getting the liquid to cooling the liquid.)
When the vinegar mixture is cool, pack the sugar snaps, garlic and chile peppers or flakes into a 1-quart jar or bowl, and pour the brine over it. Cover with a non-reactive cap, or plastic wrap.
The original recipe suggests you store the jar in the refrigerator for two weeks before eating the pickled peas.  They have a pickled taste after 24 hours and I'd be curious to know if they lasted the 2 weeks in the fridge at your place.  


This recipe took no time at all to prep and no processing. 


StumbleUpon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh these sound SO amazing. i loveeeee sugar snap peas, and i'm a huge fan of anything pickled! this sounds right up my alley!

That Girl said...

These look great to have on hand for company.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This has me regretting that I didn't plant snap peas in my garden plot!!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark