Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pineapple Cheesecake for Dieters


Bet you thought I fell off the face of the world.  Truth be told I've been out of commission - a big yayy to Psychgrad for keeping things running.


I'd been hearing about this recipe for quite a time. My friend's mom, who is diabetic and has a sweet tooth had to find a way to enjoy a sweet dessert without creating an impact on her blood sugar level. Now I admit, that's a pretty simplified rationalization and there are a whole host of other dynamics at play with diabetes.... but .. if you're going to have a cheat let this be it.




2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbls lemon juice
2 pkgs Knox Gelatin
1 pkg 500g pressed cottage cheese (I used Western)
1 cup cottage cheese (I used 1%)
15 pkg splenda
1 14 oz jar crushed pineapple (drained and divided)

Set oven at 350 F Spray an 8" square pan with Pam

1. Drain pineapple and add the gelatin to the liquid. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, add the cheeses and mix for about a minute.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix the batter for a good 5 minutes - you want it smooth textured.
4. Fill baking pan and bake for 35 min. Let stand to cool for 30 minutes, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.





Verdict: For NO Fat cheesecake - pretty good. Don't like pineapple - use peaches You can easily double this recipe into a 9x13 pan To dress it up I took some fresh blueberries, added a tsp of butter and a splash of lemon, cooked them on the stovetop and added a heaping spoonful to each slice.
 
StumbleUpon

1 comment:

That Girl said...

This would be great for my diabetic father in law.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark