Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins


Last week we took a trip to visit Giz in Toronto.  I spent a couple of days cooking and baking to fill up her freezer.  I made a vegetarian version of taco soup, chicken soup, a ground chicken bolognese and banana oatmeal muffins.  I also wanted to use up some of the rhubarb I had pulled from my garden and transported with me.  R found this delicious recipe!

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 large egg
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 cup chopped fresh rhubarb
Topping
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Make crumb topping by combining all topping ingredients and stirring with a fork. Set aside.
3. Whisk together buttermilk, egg, vanilla, and applesauce in a large bowl. Set aside.
4. Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
5. Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
6. Fold in strawberries and rhubarb.

7. Put into muffin tin.




8. Top with a light layer of crumb topping.




9. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned on the top



Verdict - These muffins were a hit!  I'd make them again without a doubt.  In fact, I'm hoping to get enough rhubarb out of my garden to make them for my freezer back at home.  I was quite generous with the fruit quantities.  Next time, I'll be more conservative since it made the middle of the muffin slightly mushier than I'd like.  I'd also definitely recommend halving the streusel quantities.  I put a generous amount on top of the muffins and was still left with a lot left over (see picture, below). 


StumbleUpon

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks super yummy. I know that there are lots of people who dig strawberry treats more than I do. I'm sure they will soon make this part of their craving soon as they have the chance to try it. :)
- KatzGlutenFree.com

That Girl said...

You can come fill my freezer any time

giz said...

Many thanks PG for these yummy treats and all the other deposits to my freezer. Even managing a baby you somehow pulled it all together. You're amazing

Patsyk said...

They look so delicious! Strawberry Rhubarb is my husband's favorite kind of pie, so I'm sure he'd love these muffins, too!

Patsyk said...

They look so delicious! Strawberry Rhubarb is my husband's favorite kind of pie, so I'm sure he'd love these muffins, too!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark