Saturday, August 6, 2005

British Columbia: Part 2

After taking the ferry to Vancouver Island, we arrived in Victoria. The whole process of getting there was quite easy. Actually, everything on our trip went smoothly. Planning our trip to Turkey/Greece last summer was so much more difficult. Between language barriers and limited internet information, I had to go to a travel agent. But, planning a trip to and through BC can mainly be done via internet.

We stayed at my uncle and aunt's place (and 3 cousins). Perhaps slight miscommunication, because my uncle seemed to have cleared his schedule for us, whereas I had plans to spend time with friends. We kind of fit both in. The first night we took a walk around the harbour/parliament there. It was nice to spend time with them.

The pace is much slower than Vancouver. Apparently, Victoria has a relatively large number of people living on the street. I didn't see very many though.

The second day we met up with a friend. She suggested climbing Mt. Finlayson. I tend to get myself into these outdoor adventure situations where I am gungho at the beginning and wondering what the hell I was thinking half way through. I think we took the harder route. But I made it to the top.

Afterwards we went to The Noodle Box. These noodle box-type things seem to be popular in BC and I wish they were nationally.

Later that night, we went for dinner with my uncle and his family. It's interesting watching people react to my one cousin. She has piercing everywhere and multicoloured dreadlocks. Old people tend to get a very frightened look when they see her...which is explains why my grandmother refuses to go anywhere with her in public.

The day after we met up with another friend by the pier. The weather started getting much nicer at this point and it was a great day by the water. We walked around Fisherman's Whorf for a bit. There are a bunch of house boats there and a few restaurants.

Afterwards, we rented scooters. I loved scootering around...but R hated it. There's a nice drive by the water there, so I would definitely recommend it.

The next day we took the ferry to Salt Spring Island.

To be continued... StumbleUpon

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs