Saturday, February 9, 2008

Very Apple Cake


I'm so excited - I had to share my new toy with you. Many of you may have already seen the "palm peeler" but being the kid in the candy store type at a gourmet kitchen store I almost squealed with delight when the clerk said "go ahead and try it".



Of course she knew I'd be buying it .. and so did I. In fact, I picked up a second one for Psychgrad. This handy little gadget fits over your first or middle finger and is a wonderful vegetable/fruit peeler.



What I particularly like about it is that when I used it to slice 5 lb. of apples, it consistently only took off the very outer skin layer of the apples. Love it.

Back to very serious apple cake business.



Ingredients:

1/2 lb. butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
5 lbs. apples (good baking apple)
Maraschino cherries WITH stem (I didn't do this part)

Note: There's no mistake - there's no cinnamon in this recipe although if you happen to really like it, the addition could be good too.



Process:
CAKE:
1. In a large bowl, stir 1/4 lb. melted butter, 1 cup sugar, 2 beaten eggs, 2 cups flour, 2 tsp. baking powder.
2. Grease and flour a 9" or 10" spring form pan
3. Pat butter into bottom and sides of greased and flowered spring form
4. Peel and slice 5 lbs of apples
5. Put apples layer by layer into spring form. Arrange top layer in an overlapping pattern.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Check for doneness after an hour.
7. While cake is baking, make the sauce.

SAUCE:
Stir in a bowl:
1/4 lb. melted butter
1 cup sugar
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

THE FINALE
1. Take cake out of the oven and spoon sauce on the apple cake
2. Add maraschino cherries WITH the stem in a pretty pattern (if desired)
3. Put cake back into oven for another 1/2 hour
4. Top layer of apples should be golden brown and gorgeous!
5. Let sit for about 1/2 hour before removing from spring form pan.



And then - layers of apple goodness.

StumbleUpon

4 comments:

test it comm said...

Nice looking apple cake. Just look at the layers. That peeler sounds interesting.

Anonymous said...

Love the look of this cake!

PG said...

I'll vouch for the peeler being really good...I prefer it for smoother/less bumpy surfaces (apples, carrots, etc.). I found it a bit tough to use on potatoes.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark