Saturday, September 12, 2009

Cauliflower Pancakes


Lots of company planned over the next couple of weeks so in true foodie frenzy, my freezers have to be filled with prepped food for any eventuality that may arise. What can I say - this is my obsession. But then you understand this don't you. You're the same as I am - cookbooks all over the livingroom, grocery list on the fridge so you don't forget anything, the good silverware is getting polished (who ever invented silver in the first place) and just general Giz type chaos. I'm sure Psychgrad can attest to this. You know that old expression - we become our mothers - enough said.

Today I stopped in to my local market to find HUGE heads of cauliflower at $1.00/head. It's not even part of my vocabulary to say no to a good find like this. I decided to make cauliflower pancakes to serve as a side to at least one of the meals for guests.

Ingredients

1 medium to large head of cauliflower
3 large eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil

Cut the cauliflower florets and boil in water until tender
While still warm, mash the florets. Add eggs, bread crumbs, salt and pepper


Shape the cauliflower into smallish pancakes and fry in olive oil on medium heat.





These freeze well and can be warmed up in the oven at 300 F for about 15 minutes.



If you're into easy and tasty - this is it. You can also use broccoli or a combination of broccoli and cauliflower. StumbleUpon

13 comments:

Amy said...

Cauliflower is so under-used. Love this idea!

FOODalogue said...

Hard for anyone to turn their nose up at cauliflower when it's presented like a pancake!

kat said...

Oh I have a head in the fridge I was wondering what to do with...

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I agree with Joan. I see cauliflower pancakes in my future.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a fabulous way to sneak in cauliflower if your diet! I just might get away with this with my husband :)

That Girl said...

I have to say, I love love love vegetables, but I cold never really get into cauliflower.

grace said...

you'd be crazy to pass up a deal like that! although i've never had cauliflower in patty-form, i think it's safe to say that i'd love it. great idea!

Hopie said...

Wow, this is a great idea. I'm bookmarking it! Sometimes I get cauliflower in my CSA and I always end up doing the same old things with it. This would be great for a change.

Cakelaw said...

I have some leftover cauliflower languishing in my fridge - this sounds like a good way to use it up.

Ruth Daniels said...

The pancakes look delicious and as for counters and table tops....where are they again????

Oh yes, under the mounds and mounds of books and dishes and...

Lori Lynn said...

Those look terrific! Great idea.
LL

Steph said...

This looks really interesting. I think I'm going to give this a try the next time we buy cauliflower

Xella said...

So love this idea of using cauliflower. unfortunately my hubby doesn't like them... So I have to do them for myself!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark