It's Tuesday again and here's another Two for Tuesday's real food recipe. Want to know what Two for Tuesday's is? Click on over to any one of the 4 sponsoring blogs - you can see them all HERE where you'll also find all the details about how to play and how this really cool idea of blog hopping gives you 4X the exposure.
I also seem to be having this love affair with Rose Reisman's cookbook that you've likely seen me post about in the past few posts. This one is intriguing because the calorie count is a fraction of regular lasagna, it's vegetarian, it's beautiful and the best is that it's delicious.
1 cup canned corn, drained
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tsp finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 cups tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup light ricotta (5%)
1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup shredded light cheddar cheese
3 Tbsp low-fat milk
pinch of salt and pepper
2 Tsp grated Paremsan cheese
5 large flour tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
2. Lightly coat a nonstick saucepan with vegetable oil and set over medium heat. dd the corn and saute, stirring often, for about 8 minutes or until slightly charred. Set aside.
3. Add 2 tsp oil to the saucepan and keep over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the red and green peppers. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomato sauce, charred corn, basil, chili powder and cumin. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
4. Place the chickpeas in a bowl and mash them roughly with a fork. Add to the vegetable mixture and stir to combine.
5 In a separate bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses (but reserve 1/4 cup of the cheddar for garnish). Add the milk, salt and pepper and stir until well combined.
6. Place a flour tortilla in the prepared springform pan. Spread with one-quarter of the vegetable-chickpea mixture. Sprinkle with one-quarter of the cheese mixture. Repeat the layers 3 times. Top with the final tortilla and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Cover the pan tightly with foil.
7. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, then uncovered for an additional 10 minutes or until it is completely heated through and the cheese has melted. Cut into 8 wedges with a sharp knife.
Calories per serving: 280 (hard to believe isn't it)
Note: The next time I make this and I'm sure it'll be soon, I'll cut the tortillas to exactly fit the springform. It just looks alot neater and makes a wonderful main that, served with a salad is a totally satisfying meal and you don't even miss the calories.