Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Ricotta Cheesecake with Concord Coulis


I will very often check what's in my fridge, think about the ingredients and then start canvassing the recipe sites for inspiration This week I had some ricotta cheese and cream cheese, both earmarked for different dishes that never came to fruition. I found an interesting recipe at Cooks.com for Ricotta Cheesecake!!! I love easy; very in to immediate gratification.


I also happen to be a happy camper when recipes turn out the way they're supposed to. This was not the case with my attempt at Concord Grape Jelly. Instead of jelly, I now have coulis; delicious but certainly not jelly.



Ingredients

1 lb. ricotta cheese (I used reduced fat)
1 lb. cream cheese (I used reduced fat)
1 c. sugar
4 eggs, beaten lightly
1/2 c. sugar (this can be reduced slightly)
1/4 lb. melted butter
1 pt. sour cream
1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla
3 tbsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. flour

Ricotta and cream cheese in a bowl. Beat it very well. Stir in 1 cup sugar. Add the beaten eggs, lemon juice and vanilla. Sift 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, flour. Add gradually to cheese. Add the melted butter and sour cream. Blend thoroughly. Pour into a greased pan. Bake at 300 degrees until firm, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Turn off oven, open door and cool thoroughly in oven. (Takes several hours.)

As you can see, I served it with fresh peaches and concord grape coulis. The message is that sometimes when you fail (i.e. jelly), you actually win (i.e. killer coulis)
StumbleUpon

4 comments:

That Girl said...

This is going to sound silly but ... I've had ricotta cheesecake before and I never realized it had cream cheese in it too! I always assumed it was a sub.

FOODalogue said...

The coulis around the cake looks lovely. I'm not a big fan of cheesecake but when I do indulge, I prefer a ricotta based one.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I used my leftover ricotta in meatballs, so we will see how that turns out. Sweet and luscious cheesecake would have been so much better!

grace said...

i always say i'm not a fan of cheesecake, but it seems that when ricotta is involved, it's far less offensive. i love the coulis, too--very attractive and delicious touch!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark