Friday, November 11, 2011

Apple Butter Apple Pie


Are you looking for a dessert recipe for American Thanksgiving?  This one is a winner!

Giz and I made it for Canadian Thanksgiving last month.  I was inspired by Sugar Plum's Apple Butter Apple Pie recipe.  Specifically, the apple butter portion was particularly enticing, since both Giz and I had recently made apple butter.


Apple Butter Apple Pie

6-7 cups thinly sliced peeled apples 
1/2 cup apple butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground clove
1/3 cup white sugar (optional -- we added this to the recipe)

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. 


Roll out half of the pie dough, on a lightly floured surface, and fit into a pie dish.  We used this pie crust recipe.   

In a large mixing bowl, stir together apples, apple butter, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and clove until well combined; pour into pie dish.



For the top layer, I opted to do a lattice.  It was a first attempt. 



The lattice looked good, but I wanted to add something more.  Thankfully, Giz has a good selection of cookie cutters, so we re-rolled the dough made some apple cutouts.






Bake 50-60 minutes or until deep golden brown and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack before slicing.



The pie exceeded my expectations and passed the Baba test (she sincerely liked it, which is a feat unto itself).


Here's Kodi, who just turned 12, hanging out in the kitchen after dinner.  

StumbleUpon

2 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It does look delicious guys!!! I have a glut of apples and am definitely looking for a solution.

That Girl said...

It's not homemade, but I have a huge jar of apple butter that I never know what to do with. This might be the solution.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark