Friday, November 4, 2011

Tres Leches Cake


I seem to be catching up on my South American influences these days. If you've been following, you'll remember my collaborating with Karenis from Venequela in making Arepas . The same day we decided that the arepas were so quick to put together that we wold tackle making a Tres Leche Cake.

This cake is incredibly delicious but not very figure friendly. It's definitely a special occasion cake. The special occasion for me was making it with Karenis and having one of the best laughs of my life as the afternoon unfolded as a whole comedy of errors beginning with spills and ending with a cake so saturated with deliciousness dripping down a very long carpeted hallway. But....as far as we were concerned - NOTHING HAPPENED!!!!

5 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups white sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups whole milk
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


DIRECTIONS

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.


2.Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside.

3.Cream butter and 1 cup of sugar together until fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla extract . Karenis is doing a terrific job :).


4. Add the flour and milk alternately mixing well after each addition.
5. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with remaining cup of sugar until stiff peaks are formed. Gently fold in the egg whites to the batter. Spread into prepared pan.
6. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool.
7. In a medium bowl, mix together the whole milk, condensed and evaporated milk and the almond extract.
8. Poke holes all over the cake with a fork and spread the milk combination over the cake (slowly) and keep adding until the cake cannot absorb anymore.

Be careful - this step can get very messy.

9. Beat the whipping cream and vanilla to form peaks. Cover the top of the cake with the whipped cream.


Total YUM-a-LICIOUS!!!!
StumbleUpon

6 comments:

That Girl said...

I haven't made tres leches in ages!

Cyberpelón said...

Totally yummy!!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

When I made this from another recipe it did not turn out. I am sure it was my fault and I overcooked the cake. So do not overcook the cake everyone or the milk will not soak in.

huntdonald said...

That is a speciality I have never tried or made... I love the idea.

Laura R said...

I tried to make this cake and wanted to point out flaw in the writing of the recipe. In step 4, you say to add the flour and the milk alternately to the mixture. I did this and then realized in step 7 you say to add the whole milk, evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk without breaking down how much milk should be used in each step. I ended up with a very running cake batter and had to throw it away unfortunately. I just wanted to point this out so it could be corrected. I'm sure it is delicious!

giz said...

Laura - hmmmm, I'm sorry you had this experience - I'm going through the recipe again to see what I did that confused the recipe...

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark