Monday, October 8, 2012

Bierocks


Happy Canadian Thanksgiving

My old friend and realtor extraordinaire in Winnipeg  Chris Krawchenko was showing off his home made Bierocks one day.  I was uber impressed and told him I wanted the recipe.  I didn't even know what a bierock was but they looked rather cool.  I'm always looking to try recipes, especially European recipes in my own small effort to keep some of the simplicity of the "old country" alive and in the kitchen.

My research tells me that bierocks (pronounced beerocks), also known as runza and very similar to the Ukrainian pyrizhky, originate from Germany and Russia and are well known (obviously not to me) as a comfort food of the harvest.  They're savory little pockets of meat, onion and cabbage and apparently the forerunner of the Reuben Sandwich.  Who knew?





1 lb ground beef
1 c. onion, chopped
1/2 green cabbage, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

In a large skillet on medium heat, cook the ground beef and onion until the beef is browned.  Add salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce.  
Add the chopped cabbage and continue to cook until the cabbage is soft.  

.
You can make your own dough if you like or use a premade pizza dough or do it the easy way.  I opted for the easy way.


The premade dough, although it's probably not the most cost effective way of making large batches, was an excellent choice for me.  I was able to find the dough on sale (my favourite 4 letter word) and it's perferated to a great size and easy to handle.
On approximately 5x5 squares, put a heaping tablespoon of filling in the center.  Bring the corners to the center and pinch all the sides closed.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and line up your bierocks leaving enough space in between for oven expansion.  They'll expand 50% in the oven.
Beat one egg and wash your bierocks before you put them in the oven at 350 F for 20 minutes or until golden brown.




Beautiful no?  

The most important thing is that these filled pillows are incredibly delicious.  The combination of the filling with the soft texture of the dough are a totally winning combination.  

The volume of filling in this recipe is enough to make 36-40 bierocks.  You may want to even double the recipe.

Reminder:  Don't forget to enter the Mymemories.com giveaway before October 12th.  Just go to the post before this one to get the details.

StumbleUpon

4 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have not heard of them either, but I would love to try this old world recipe.

pam said...

These sound wonderful!

That Girl said...

These looks like a great recipe for St. Patrick's Day

Larissa said...

Ooh, these look yummy...like old school Hot Pockets :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark