Tuesday, October 16, 2012

World Food Day October 16, 2012




Another year passes and I ask myself if anything has really changed.  Have we made a difference in world hunger?  Are more people moving out of poverty?  Is there enough food to feed all those that need to be fed both at home and abroad?  What have we done as a civilized world to actually improve the conditions of our planet?

World Food Day is an awareness campaign that selects a relevant theme annually to highlight the severity of world hunger.  Agriculture is central to feeding the world and sustaining a vital agricultural supply is critical for long term relief.  This year's theme is "Greening the Blue".  The call to action is coordinate resources for the most efficient expedition of food with the least negative impact on our environment.  Not a small task.

I can't solve world hunger and poverty but I can do my part either by sharing the awareness, making a food or money donation or volunteering my time in whatever way I can.   1 in 7 people in the world live in desperate conditions.  Doing your part in whatever way you can may feel small but collectively it does make a difference.





Brown and Wild Rice Stuffed Peppers

This is so simple, inexpensive and nutritious.  For under $5, I can feed a family of 4

3 bell peppers, halved, seeds removed
1 cup brown rice
1 cup wild rice
1 onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced finely
1 rib celery, diced
8 oz mushrooms, diced
Herbs/spices as you like.  I used Trader Joe's 21 Salute, Oregano and Cumin
salt and pepper to taste
3 oz. parmesan cheese or tomato sauce (or both)

Heat oven to 350 F

1.  In a medium saucepan with 4 cups of water, bring brown and wild rice to a boil.  Turn down to a simmer, cover and cook for 40 minutes/

2.  Saute vegetables until soft.  Salt and pepper.

3.  Add cooked rice and mix together.  Spoon into the halved peppers and top with a sprinkle of cheese or tomato sauce.  Bake for 20 minutes.

4 comments:

That Girl said...

I love that we both posted stuffed peppers recipes. Great minds think alike!

Jackson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I remember WFD well as it sparked my own awareness of food and the need to spread the word. As for the peppers I just adore these kind of dishes and if I can save a few dollars all the better.

Sylvia said...

Love wild rice and love the recipes

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark