Rather than stay glued to the set, I felt like making something that I know is delicious and comforting and great as either an appetizer, snack or even main. Add some pita and you're good to go. There are so many different varieties of eggplant salad and this one is one of my very favourites.
2 large eggplants, peeled and roughly chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pan.
- Add the eggplant and cook until tender. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same, now empty, pan, heat the remaining olive oil. Once warm, add the red and yellow bell peppers, onion, and scallion.
- Cook for 5 minutes until the veggies begin to become tender.
- Add garlic. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Fold the eggplant into the veggie mixture along with tomato puree, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and paprika, and cook for another 2 minutes. Do not stir and let the mixture sit and simmer until the liquid has cooked off.
- Set the veggies aside and let them cool. Place them in a storage container and refrigerate for at least an hour, or until chilled.