Saturday, August 23, 2014

Cream of Potato Soup with Garlic Scapes and Swiss Chard



I mentioned in my last post that my favourite son in law will occasionally send me an email asking for new recipes.  I'm glad that he enjoys cooking and actually he's pretty good at it.  What I particularly like about R's style is that he doesn't cut corners.  He reads the recipe, gives it consideration, makes sure he has all the ingredients and if he doesn't, goes out to get them and spends the time and gives the energy into creating his works of art.  A good attitude goes a long way so I'm always happy to help resource what he's looking for.

This time R sent out an SOS because they had an overabundance of scapes.  I went through my Pinterest boards and sent him about 6 or 8 links to chose from.  After consideration, he chose
Cream of Potato Soup with Garlic Scapes and Swiss Chard.

Now, in my last post I also mentioned that R goes to great lengths to get to me.  For That Girl's sake
I'm sharing R's response to me after he sent me a link and a picture and suggested I post it on the blog..

Your last post was mediocre. It didn't capture the emotion or the spirit of the salad. In order to mitigate the the risk of another mediocre post, I am instituting creative control on all future posts about my meals. Please prepare the post for my approval within three working days. Also, I want 80% of the revenues related to posts about meals I prepare.

In spite of the fact that I'm leaving the country tomorrow for a couple of weeks I did promise R to have this up before I left.  When he told me that this soup was a total keeper I was thrilled and am happy to share it with you.  It does look pretty delicious, if I say so myself.

Sorry R, I don't have 3 working days for you to execute your creative control .  AND, you can have 100% of all the revenues since there aren't any.
2 Tablespoons Butter (or olive oil for vegans)
5-6 Garlic Scapes
2 cloves regular garlic, minced
3 russet potatoes unpeeled, diced
4-5 Cups homemade vegetable stock (enough to cover potatoes)
1 bunch of Swiss Chard, stemmed
1 stem of fresh Oregano
1 Tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
1/2 of a Lemon
Kosher Salt to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1/4 Cup of Sour Cream (optional, but highly recommended)


Saute Garlic Scapes in butter for about 2 minutes. Add minced Garlic and diced potatoes. Stir and saute in butter or olive oil another 2 minutes, add some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Add vegetable stock, bring to boil. Turn to low and cover- let simmer for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, check to see if potatoes are done. They should easily be pierced with a fork. It's okay if they are a little over cooked because they are going to get pureed anyway. Add fresh Oregano, parsley, and chard. Let simmer on low another 5 minutes. Turn off heat. 

With an immersion blender, puree the potato soup, leaving some lumps. 
Season with Juice of 1/2 a lemon, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in 1/4 cup of sour cream.
Garnish with any combination of the following: fresh parsley, chive flowers, fresh ground black pepper, crispy bacon crumbles, or crunchy onions.





The picture would look even better if you used the good camera and not your Iphone :)
StumbleUpon

1 comment:

That Girl said...

This made me laugh for a number of reasons!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark