Sunday, January 4, 2009

Nuts to You Vegetarian Chili






Gloria of Cookbook Cuisine and Foods and Flavors of San Antonio has a chili cook off each month. We are asked to submit an original chili recipe and send it to Gloria by the 20th of the month. You can find the rules for the Chili Cook Off Challenge here .

This was an interesting and fun challenge for me. It forced me to think outside the box a little since I've always only made chili one way and here I was in invention mode making a vegetarian chili. I was pretty surprised to find out that this newly created chili (at least new for me) was really delicious and will now become my chili of choice. Although it seems like alot of ingredients, it does come together pretty quickly and makes enough for 10 servings. You still have time to create and enter so do check out Gloria's blogs for more information.




Ingredients:

1 medium onion (diced)
1 red pepper (diced)
1 green pepper (diced)
3 medium carrots (diced)
3 Japanese eggplants (you can use regular eggplant)
3/4 cup cauliflower florets
3/4 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup cut yellow beans
1/2 cup cut green beans
1/2 cup slice mushrooms
1 19 oz can chick peas
1 19 oz can kidney beans
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 28 oz can tomato juice or sauce (I used home made sauce)
3 cloves minced garlic
1-1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1 heaping tsp. chili peppers
1/2 tsp hot paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup unsalted cashew nuts
1/2 cup shredded cheese (for topping) I used Gruyere
dollops sour cream (for topping)

Method:

1. Saute onion for 5 minutes until translucent. (approx 3 minutes)



2. Add carrots and celery, cook approximately 5 minutes
3. Add garlic, salt and pepper to taste
4. Add cauliflower, broccoli, green and yellow beans, mushrooms and eggplant. Combine and cook for 2-3 minutes




4. Add chick peas, kidney beans, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Combine until well mixed. Add chili powder, hot paprika, cumin and mix. Allow to simmer for approximately 1/2 hour. Taste and adjust seasonings.






5. Mix in 1 cup of unsalted cashew nuts (this gives it a special meaty texture)
5. Serve with some shredded cheese, a dollup of sour cream and a sprinkling of a few cashew nuts.

StumbleUpon

26 comments:

Gloria Chadwick said...

Your chili is beautiful and I love the cashews and all the veggies you put in, especially the eggplant. Yum. Thanks for entering my chili cook-off. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds as if you met the challenge admirably. And I do think cashews would be a great addition, even if not "meaty" ;) I'm thrilled this is a chili I can try out!

PS I haven't forgotten about the Girls' meme--promise to get to it asap. :)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love how colorful this is!

Dewi said...

This one American classic food (is it)? I've never made before. I should really make an effort to try it. Your vegetarian version sounds delicious.
Cheers,
Elra

shambo said...

Wow! So full of vegetables! Almost like a farmer's market in a bowl. What a great way to get a tasty vegetarian meal.

That Girl said...

That chili has so many vegetables you could probably classify it as a salad!

kat said...

Wow, that has to be incredible healthy for you

Lori Lynn said...

Lots of ingredients, but all of them sound great together. Beautiful colors.

?Did you serve it with latkes??

Elle said...

Glorious chili, especially with all those veggies and the cashews. Almost looks too good to eat...but not really.

Bunny said...

Giz I don't think anybody would miss the meat in chili if they ate yours, it's packed full of goodness!

Anonymous said...

Oh nice, this looks really good. It's a wonderful alternative to traditional chili!

Proud Italian Cook said...

I wouldn't miss meat at all, with all those great ingredients! So colorful too! Congrats on the book, looks like 2009 will be an exciting year!!

FOODalogue said...

That's definitely a colorful, crunchy and healthy chili. I like it!

Anonymous said...

I love the cashew addition...that's a new one for me!

grace said...

fact: that's the most colorful chili i've ever seen. count me among the folks who've never had nuts in chili, but it's definitely something i'd love to try!

OhioMom said...

That is one purty chili, are those latkes on the side ? Yum!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious with all those veggies! Have agreat 2009!
Ronell

alexandra's kitchen said...

Look at all of those veggies! THis is such a welcomed dish this time of the year. So healthy and delicious. Happy New Year!

Hopie said...

I love how colorful it is! Seems almost festive with all those beautiful veggies.

Anonymous said...

The colors are beautiful!

Sanghi said...

Wow, Great Giz. Lovely colourful dish. Love to taste it. Will try out..!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I will have to give vegetarian chili a try Giz. Growing up with a vegetarian Dad meat was always on our table but in limited varieties. That habit still continues to this day!!!

test it comm said...

I really like all of the vegetables in this chili!

Anonymous said...

Your chili looks great! I like that you added cashews, I've never seen that in a chili before. Good luck!

I would love to write about your chili on our blog (after the contest is over, of course)! If you are interested send me an email at haley@keyingredient.com

Thanks!
Haley, KI Blogger

Anonymous said...

ll that veggie goodness looks fantastic! YUM!

Lori said...

That looks like good chili! Hmm. I plan on making chili tomorrow!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark