Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bran Muffins


All I can say is that I think I've found the perfect bran muffin recipe. As I was looking through old boxes and papers with scribbled recipes on them, this one spoke to me because I had it rated VG. I've had the recipe forever and wasn't really sure if my standards had gone up or not so I decided that it was time for baba to get some more fiber. Packed with 3 cups of whole bran at 10mg per serving, bran muffins went to the top of my priority list for the day.




3 cups whole bran cereal
1 cup boiling water
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup fancy molasses
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup raisins
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups flour

Pour boiling water over cereal in large bowl and stir. Cool. Add eggs, molasses, buttermilk, oil and raisins. Blend well.
Stir together soda, salt, sugar and flour and blend into bran mixture.

Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes

Batter will keep up to 5 weeks in a tightly covered container in the fridge. Ideal for when you want something fresh out of the oven in no time.

Note: I made these in oversize muffin baking container and got 15 muffins. In smaller muffin tins you would get 30-36. StumbleUpon

7 comments:

kat said...

Always looking for good bran muffin recipes, hubs just loves them.

That Girl said...

I love the sweetness of bran muffins.

FOODalogue said...

I have the same rating method: G, VG, NG

Gloria Baker said...

Giz I love these Bran Muffins, look awesome, xx gloria

Dharm said...

These look super delicious and with bran, it means they are healthy too!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am always searching for the best bran muffin out there.They would be festive and antioxidant packed with dried cranberries.

Heather S-G said...

I haven't had a bran muffin in FOREVER. You've inspired me to try them again...I really like them, just don't really think about them. They sound great!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark