Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cocaine Cookies - Kourabiedes


If you've followed our blog for a while you may have heard me say that these cocaine cookies are my absolute without question very favourite cookie of all time. There's really no cocaine in them (but I guess you knew that). They're really a traditional Greek shortbread cookie called Kourabiedes (I'm sure you have to be Greek to be able to pronounce this properly).

Actor Boy's girlfriend is Greek so I wanted to make her feel at home by for the first time ever, making these cookies. And who did I turn to in my time of need - my fellow Toronto Greek blogger - Peter of Kalofagas . Not only did he point me in the right direction - he also gave me other options that could work - hmmmm, maybe I'm not so done as I thought.




Here's Peter's recipe:

Kourabiedes
(recipe is for 2 baking trays/80 cookies) Note: Absolutely dead on 80 cookies

1 lb. clarified butter
1 cup icing sugar
2 egg yolks
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups of roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
1 shot of brandy (I used cognac)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 heaping Tbsp. of baking powder
5 cups all purpose flour
Extra icing sugar (for powdering)

1. Using a mixer and a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the egg yolks and continue to mix.
2. Slowly pour in the vegetable oil while still mixing
3. Add your brandy to a large glass and then add baking powder; stir until dissolved. Add this mixture and the vanilla and continue mixing until blended.
4. Start kneading the mixture with your hands (try not to say yuck too often)while slowly adding the flour until the flour has been absorbed. Add the almonds kneading them into the dough mixture.
5. Break off pieces the size of a walnut and form them into your shape of choice (I made crescents) Place each formed cookie on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Reapeat process until all the dough has been used.
6. Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 30 minutes*. When slightly cooled immerse cookie in 2 cups of icing sugar and coat completely.

Notes:
This is the type of cookie you don't want to be indulging on regularly - it's very rich but man - oh so delicious.

*My oven may be fast but I found my cookies were done between 18 and 20 minutes.
They're a delicate cookie - throwing them around will cause them to break rendering them suitable only for the baker :) StumbleUpon

10 comments:

Peter M said...

Mary, lookin' good... the gf will feel at home but you have to complete the circle with some Melomakarona...the other "must have" cookie.

Kales giortes!

kat said...

Oh those sound just luscious

fulya.us said...

This is what we call "Kurabiye" in Turkish.
I know, we have many words similar between Greek and Turkish

Looks really good.

fulya.us said...

Sara, this recipe also remind me of my mom's "Kurabiye"s what we call in Turkish.

When you are in Winnipeg next time, you have to cook it for your father.
My father loved it a lot when I cook Kurabiye's for him each time I visit.

I like the picture here, really looks great! good job!

PG said...

fulya.us - who are you???

Anonymous said...

Nevermind who Fulya is!

just make some and send them to your father!
but low carb....
psychgraddad

Hopie said...

Clarified butter - like ghee? Those sound absolutely delicious! I'm so for cookies with cognac in them ;-)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have yet to try these, can you believe that with my love of all things Greek.Your friend will love them and they will have that WOW factor.

Anonymous said...

Just made a batch. I used a orange rime & white wine glaze before frosting. (soaked overnight & drained) These things taste great! Allot of work though if you're in a rush

Ruth Daniels said...

The cookies look awesome and remind me of ones my mother (not a drop of Greek blood in her) made when I was a kid. Only thing different...no booze.

And since I never did get the recipe, I'll be trying this one soon.

Thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark