Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Chive Pesto


I think I need to plant more perennials.  I loved having chives growing without having to expend any energy.  Not to mention that they grew better than the plants that I worked hard to grow!

The thing is, I don't tend to use chives in many of my dishes.  So, I decided to expand my pesto collection and make some chive pesto.

I started out by separating the flowers from the rest of the chives.  




I like using the flowers (they're edible) as a garnish or in a vase, for decoration.





I found a recipe for chive pesto at this link 

Chive Pesto Recipe

2 cups roughly chopped chives
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup toasted nuts: almonds, pine nuts, walnuts, etc.
1-3 ounces or 1/3 cup more or less parmesan cheese
1 clove or less of garlic



Blend it in a food processor until fairly chopped up but still smallish chunks.  Note: I blended it until pretty close to smooth.  


I ended up having enough ingredients for a double recipe, which filled up two ice cube trays.


Here's my pesto collection: 3 bags of scape pesto, 1 bag of chive pesto and 1/2 bag of basil pesto.  Each pesto has its own distinct flavour and I'm looking forward to try them in the months to come. 

StumbleUpon

2 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Now I wish I had an overabundance of chives. There is so much I miss about having a garden.

That Girl said...

As I was reading your wish for more chives I was thinking "But I don't really use chives all that often." This pesto is a great way to use them up.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark