Saturday, December 20, 2008
We're in the midst of what the weather announcers are calling "Snowmaggedon". It's a great day to stay indoors, find a new recipe and put on the music. This recipe is an adaptation from Recipe Zaar .
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 large apple, peeled, cored and diced
3 clementines or tangarines
1 cup cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans
24 premade miniature tart shells (or your favourite recipe)
Note: I didn't use the mini tart shells - rather the regular sized ones and got 14 tarts from this recipe)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F
2. Cut the unpeeled clementines in quarters and remove any seeds; then chop in food processor, peel and all.
3. Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, apple, clementines and any juice from chopping, cranberries and pecans in a saucepan.
4. Cook over medium heat until the cranberries burst and the apple is tender
5. If mixture is too runny, thicken with a mixture of cornstarch and water mixed to form a thin paste. (the recipe was perfect for me - didn't add any cornstarch)
7. Fill the tart shells with the mixture and bake for 10-15 minutes (until the edges are slightly brown)
Verdict: If you had to imagine what Christmas tastes like - this recipe would fill the bill.