Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Parmesan Crusted Tilapia & Mustard-Roasted Potatoes


I know you're usually supposed to have quick appetizers and junk food when watching football, but I opted for a regular meal when a friend came over to watch the Grey Cup. The Grey Cup is the award given to the winner of the Canadian Football League's (CFL) final. The CFL is very much like the NFL, with variation in rules and field size.

Actually, I'm not a big football fan. I'll go watch a game, but I may bring a book to help pass the time. For some reason, football fans don't like it when you read during the game. Really, my excitement about the game was having an excuse to put extra effort toward making dinner.

Along with Squash Soup, I made tilapia and potatoes. I got the tilapia recipe from Kristen at Dine and Dash, who got it from Recipezaar.

Parmesan Crusted Tilapia

3-4 tilapia fillets, depending on size
1/4 cup breadcrumbs or crushed Ritz cracker
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt
pepper
garlic powder
olive oil

Thaw and wash tilapia fillets if frozen. Pat dry on paper towels.
Combine crumbs, parmesan, italian seasoning and garlic powder on a plate, mixing well. On a different plate, pour 1 tbsp lemon juice.

Working 1 at a time, place a fillet on the plate in the lemon juice, sprinkle with desired amount of kosher salt (be careful about how much salt is in your parmesan, crumbs, and other seasonings), black pepper, and garlic powder. Turn the fillet over in the lemon juice and sprinkle seasoning on the other side.

Dredge fillet in the parmesan mixture patting it all over to coat. Place in an oiled baking dish, repeat with remaining fillets. Sprinkle a little lemon juice over fillets and drizzle or spray them lightly with olive oil.

Bake at 425ºF for about 20 minutes or until they easily flake with a fork and edges are browning (you can sprinkle some more parmesan on top if desired). You can also bake these faster at 450ºF.





This recipe was very easy to make and tasted great. I would definitely make it again. Along with the talapia, I made Smitten Kitchen's potatoes.

Mustard-Roasted Potatoes

Nonstick vegetable oil spray
1/2 cup whole grain Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick or 1/2 ounce) butter, melted
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
3 pounds 1- to 1 1/2-inch-diameter mixed unpeeled red-skinned and white-skinned potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch-wide wedges

Position 1 rack in top third of oven and 1 rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 425°F. Spray 2 large rimmed baking sheets with nonstick spray. Whisk mustard, olive oil, butter, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, lemon peel, and salt in large bowl to blend. Add potatoes; sprinkle generously with freshly ground black pepper and toss to coat. Divide potatoes between prepared baking sheets, leaving any excess mustard mixture behind in bowl. Spread potatoes in single layer.


Roast potatoes 20 minutes. Reverse baking sheets and roast until potatoes are crusty outside and tender inside, turning occasionally, about 25 minutes longer.

Transfer potatoes to serving bowl.

Do ahead: Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand on baking sheets at room temperature. Rewarm potatoes in 425°F oven 10 minutes.



The potatoes were also very good. Surprisingly, the dijon flavour becomes much subtler than I expected after being in the oven. StumbleUpon

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. this sounds like an easy and yummy recipe to do. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Julia said...

When I was in high school, my dad brought me to a classical music concert. I brought a book -- thinking that there wasn't much to watch on stage. I thought my dad would be so pleased with me that I was reading! NOT!

Your fish looks great and the potatoes look like the perfect side dish! Well done.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is a delicious choice to watch the Grey Cup!!!

Bunny said...

I like both these recipes, the potatoes are very interesting, I really like the dijon mustard idea. Football rules in this house as far a smy hubby is concerned! LOL!

glamah16 said...

Im no sports fan either and have never heard of the Grey Cup. The roast fish looks terrific. I always love a nice parmesan crust.

Dharm said...

The fish looks exquisite, as do the potatoes!!

Ivy said...

Both dishes sound easy and delicious. I am no football fan either. Thank God I have the computer.

kat said...

I usually knit during football, I've even been known to do it at bars while the game is on...

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks wonderful and I especially like how juicy and moist the fish is. Often times, fish can easily dry out and you did a great job avoiding that!

Núria said...

Mmmmm any room for another guest? Can I come and see the game? Please! I promise I will behave ;D

Those trays with potatoes are fantastic!

Rosie said...

Both recipes are delicious. The fish looks gorgeous as do the potatoes..

Rosie x

Patsyk said...

I've got that fish marked to try soon, too! It looks delicious... and, so do those potatoes! Yum!

That Girl said...

I may make these potatoes tonight!

Anonymous said...

Hello, thanks for stopping by my blog. Parmesan fish is one of my favorites ways to make fish. Your recipe looks even better than mine!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I love fish - never tried tilapia though. You don't find it over here in the UK. Recipe looks great

Deborah said...

What a meal! Looks like something I would love.

grace said...

tilapia frightens my fish-fearing self, but the potatoes sound glorious. as a mustard- and potato-lover, i can't think of a good reason as to why i haven't combined the two before. awesome. :)

Sam said...

Looks like a delicious and interesting way to cook fish. Tilapia's not that easy to find here, do you think cod would work?

Anonymous said...

i made the potatoes, too, and also found the mustard taste was very subtle. since the rest of the accompanying dinner was ruined, the potatoes went to the fridge. when i ate them cold, straight out of the fridge (i will eat almost any leftover cold, straight from fridge), the mustard taste was more pronounced.

Melissa said...

Looks like a great flavorful way to get Steve to eat more fish. Thanks! I just saved this!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark