Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Donuts? Muffins? - Donut Muffins



Think about words that seem to have magic associated with them. You know, words like love, happiness, health (assuming it's good), cinnamon. Did I say cinnamon? It seems I did. Now think about a blogger who without cinnamon would surely shrivel and disappear. Well, it could only be Grace from A Southern Grace who is currently hosting her Cinnamon Celebration. This event closes on February 13th so you still have time to send something over. It's pretty simple - just send over something that has at least 1 tsp of cinnamon in it and trust me, she'll be so happy.

Our submission to this event is a rather interesting muffin that tastes like a donut. I found this recipe in a Canadian cookbook called Muffin Mania out of Kitchener, Ontario and written by Cathy Prange and Joan Pauli.



Ingredients:
1 3/4 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 c oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. white sugar (first amount)
1 egg
3/4 c. milk

1/2 c. melted butter
3/4 c. white sugar (second amount)
1 tsp. cinnamon




Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line or spray muffin tins
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon
3. In another medium bowl thoroughly combine oil, sugar, egg and milk
4. Add liquid ingredients to dry and stir only to combine.
5. Bake at 350 F for 20-25 min.
6. Shake muffins out immediately and while hot, dip in combination of melted butter, then sugar and cinnamon.



MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm GOOOOOOD!!!!!! and it's all about the cinnamon. StumbleUpon

35 comments:

NĂºria said...

Aren't Donuts supposed to have a hole in the middle? ;D These look like muffins to me... delicious muffins I should say :D

Thanks for telling about Grace's event... Yesterday I baked a cake and it had some cinnamon in it!!!!

Julia said...

ooh, interesting! I have some Vietnamese cinnamon that I've been dying to try! This looks great! I might have to make these and cinnamon rolls. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

These look soooo good! Gotta try this!

OhioMom said...

...and here I sit with a cup of java and not a donut/muffin to call my own :) These remind me of fried cake donuts.

kat said...

I'll take a dozen of those please!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Oh my... I think I know what I'll be baking this weekend!

grace said...

i like donuts.
i like muffins.
i love cinnamon.
these are perfect--thanks for playing along!!
and yes, i'd just as soon shrivel and disappear than live without cinnamon. :)

That Girl said...

ooooooo it's like Amish friendship bread muffins!

Anonymous said...

oooo! Ahhhh! nice!

Ivy said...

Your Donmuffs look great. I use cinnamon a lot and shall see if I can participate.

Brilynn said...

Cinnamon is such a comforting smell!

Anonymous said...

I remember that cookbook! How cool that you have it. And the duffins looks great, too.

Cynthia said...

Baked cinnamon goodness. In Barbados, they call these muffins.

Bunny said...

I love these muffins, the cinnamon sugar on the outside is the best part of the muffin! Ok rollong the muffin in butter is good too.

Cakelaw said...

Donut muffins - gimme! Love the one with the jam on - just like a jam donut.

Cakebrain said...

These were the very first muffins I made when I took Home Economics in grade 8! I remember eating them straight from the oven and they were so good! I made them over and over again at home!

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

That's an interesting but excellent idea, these really look like donuts, I want one!

pam said...

Donut muffins...I like the sound of that!

Donna-FFW said...

These are the things in life that make you go MMMMMM.. they look and sound outta this world!!

Lori said...

These look so yummy. I can almost taste them right now.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Sounds like a fun event and delicious donuts Giz!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, that is really funny, my last name is Prange, I have family in Kitchener, Ontario that I recently visited, and.......I have made donut muffins!!!!!! I am heading over to A Southern Grace.

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! I love it! With coffee...oh yes.

Ann said...

What could be better than a donut-slash-muffin! Seriously!

test it comm said...

I really like the sound of these doughnut muffins and they look good all covered in jam!

Laurie said...

These look awesome! What a great combination and I love cinnamon.

Great idea to have a mother/daughter blog!

Hopie said...

Cinnamon celebration! Are you kidding? That sounds like such a yummy, warming, wonderful event. I'm going to see what I can come up with... Those donut/muffins look delicious and that's the important part.

Yumeezy said...

excuse me while i wipe the drool...these look amazing! definitely making these =)

Anne Coleman said...

Oh, those have to be delicious! You know my kids would love them - I'll have to get a batch done for them!

glamah16 said...

I love this concept with all the cinnamon sugarary goodness.Fly some over please.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Oh! These look wonderful!

Fitness Foodie said...

Those are awesome, I am anxious to try these. I think mini donut muffins will be a big hit in my house. Mmmm Cinnamon.

Anonymous said...

I hate to be a pain, but I was really looking forward to trying these this morning -- however, I can't find the amount of oil needed.

Anonymous said...

The book "Muffin Mania" has been unavailable for a number of years but has recently been republished by one of the author's grandaughter (Martha Prange) New look but the same recipes! It is available at Chapters, various bookstores and online at muffinmania.ca. Try the "Best ever Banana" or "Chocolate Cheesecake Muffins"

Julia

Sissy said...

Um...it took me a long time to find another copy of this recipe on the web. You left out the amount of oil in the ingredients...!!!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark