Thursday, March 26, 2009

Baked Risotto with Asparagus, Spinach and Parmesan


I found this cookbook in the cupboard. A title like "3 Books in 1 - Appetizers, Party Food and Entertaining" offered some interest when looking to create a full meal with one book. It was a hand me down from Auntie Takeout who by virtue of her name alone, doesn't cook so why would she need a cookbook. Good for me!

I've never tried preparing a baked risotto and how fortunate that I had all the ingredients in the house.



Ingredients

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup arborio rice
8 cups (8 to 10 oz) spinach leaves, torn into pieces
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
1 1/2 cups diagonally slice asparagus

Method

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray 13x9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4 minutes or until tender. Add rice; stir to coat with oil.
3. Stir in spinach, a handful at a time, adding more as it wilts. Add broth, salt and nutmeg. Reduce heat and simmer 7 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese.
4. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Cover tightly and bake 15 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and stir in asparagus; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Cover and bake 15 minutes more or until liquid is absorbed.

Makes 6 servings.



I'm sending this recipe to Bookmarked Recipes hosted this week by our very own Psychgrad. Do I hear the bagpipes?? Oh.... I thought I did.
The roundup comes out on Mondays so get your recips in to bookmarkedrecipes (at)gmail (dot)com.

I would make this again! StumbleUpon

11 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have never had the chance to bake a risotto either. I am quite sure it was delicious. We sometimes find the best recipes in the darndest places:D

Dewi said...

This sounded like very healthy and delicious risotto Giz.
Cheers,
elra

kat said...

Wow, I've never done risotto baked, seems easier than stove top even

Lori said...

These sound like a good combination of flavors!

Maria said...

I love a good risotto and with asparagus and spinach this one sounds divine. I also like the addition of the nutmeg here.

FOODalogue said...

So glad to learn you don't have to stand at the stove stirring a pot for 20 minutes if you want risotto.

Ivy said...

Now this sounds like a great way to make risotto. I've never baked a risotto before.

Anonymous said...

Risotto is a favorite of mine. I have never baked it before myself and will have to give it a try. Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Sounds really nice. The nutmeg is a nice touch!

grace said...

baked risotto? what a notion! it looks fantastic, especially with all the glorious green. :)

Jude said...

Nothing like a warm asparagus risotto with a bit of parmesan. So glad that I'm starting to see asparagus in the markets!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark