Sunday, March 8, 2009

Orzo Stuffed Peppers


I haven't been the most reliable foodblogger lately. Adjusting to the working world, combined with wedding planning and living everyday life has left me less time to blog. But, I knew I couldn't miss out on the Italian Festival.

For the second year, Maryann of Finding la Dolce Vita and Marie of Proud Italian Cook are hosting Festa Italiana.


This recipe was inspired by a few stuffed pepper recipes I've come across. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find them in my Google Reader (if my home looked like my Google Reader, I would definitely be in the 'horder' category). One definite source of inspiration was Giada's Orzo Stuffed Peppers. Here's what I did.

Orzo Stuffed Peppers


2-3 peppers
500 ml ground turkey
1 cup orzo
28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1.5 cups of chicken broth
2-3 garlic, shallots, minced
basil, pepper, oregano, chili peppers, to taste
parmesan cheese, to taste

Brown turkey along with minced garlic and shallots. Once the turkey is close to being cooked through, add diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add orzo to mixture and let it cook until soft. Meanwhile, add dried herbs and pepper. Clean out desired number of peppers. I used two, but had enough stuffing for four peppers. I also decided to stuff the peppers open-faced for more crusting on top (and because I didn't want a whole pepper). Once stuffed, add a generous layer of parmesan cheese on top.


Bake in over until cheese had browned (approximately 15-20 minutes) at 350F. I may have also gotten a bit impatient and broiled them for a couple of minutes.

Verdict -- the peppers were really good, suprisingly easy to make and still good as leftovers the next day.

StumbleUpon

18 comments:

Julia said...

I think my favorite part of that recipe is the layer of melted cheese on top! YUM!

Anonymous said...

Oh nice one. Life can be crazy, glad you found time to post.

Melissa said...

I've never made any kind of stuffed peppers and keep meaning to. I would think Steve and I could have this as a side dish to a pork chop.

I know you've been buys, but glad you found time to post as well. :)

♥Rosie♥ said...

Those stuffed peppers look amazing and I like the idea of using ground turkey in these.

Rosie x

kat said...

Beautiful in that yellow pepper

OhioMom said...

I have to steal, um I mean borrow this recipe :) ... I never thought to split the peppers in half, what a great idea.

Kudos!!

Anonymous said...

i have never made stuff peppers before, but the husband has mentioned them every now and then. this looks SO easy! :) and we have all the ingredients. guess what we're eating for dinner?!?! thanks for this post!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous dish! Thanks for joining us at our festa!
Maryann xox

Anonymous said...

this looks absolutely delicious! yummy!

Maria said...

That looks like a lovely dish! Love the melted cheese on top!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Beautiful presentation for our festa table! I Love everything about this! Thank you so much for joining us!
xox, Marie

Bunny said...

Oh how I love stuffed peppers, the cheese on this makes it a winner!

Anonymous said...

These look near identical to the stuffed peppers I made a few weeks ago and still have one sitting in the freezer. I used ground turkey and orzo too, the only difference is I added some frozen sweet corn for some crunchy bursts of sweetness! These are great!

Ivy said...

They looks gorgeous and surely must try these.

RecipeGirl said...

Those look fabulous to me! I never think to use yellow peppers when I make stuffed. They're sweeter and better than the green!

grace said...

that's quite a load of parmesan cheese, and i like it. i like it very much. :)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Those look really good.

test it comm said...

Those stuffed peppers look nice and cheesy and good!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark