I have a neighbour in my building who continuously tells me how easy it was to lose 50 lbs. Some days I just do the smile and nod. Other days I feel like if he continues for one more second I may just tell him to shut up already. Don't get me wrong, I think what he's done is amazing. I just get weary hearing it over and over and over and over ... I must admit, he looks healthy and svelt and I can see his commitment to never being overweight again. 50 lbs is no small job.
For me, healthier eating is a promise I really made to myself to help me feel better. It's hard to break old habits and working at it is a thought process that I have to go through daily. Today I decided that even though many of my dinners are beginning to resemble one another, I was going to add vegetables and proteins that I don't use often enough. Three new ingredients today are red snapper, swiss chard and chanterelle mushrooms. Here's my version of a Red Snapper Fresh Pot.
2 oz dried chanterelle mushrooms
1 cup brown rice
2 cups water
1 Tbsp butter
4 swiss chard leaves cut up
2 Red Snapper filets
juice of 1/2 lemon (could add some zest too if you want more lemon flavour)
2 Tbsp Italian parsley (cut)
1 Tbsp fresh thyme (cut)
sliced vegetables (whatever you have - I used red and green pepper, pea pods and cherry tomatoes)
salt and pepper to taste (I didn't add either salt or pepper and it was perfect)
1. Wash dried mushroom in warm water. Place in a dish with mix of water and milk to soak for 20 minutes.
2. Take swiss chard leaves and put them in with mushrooms to brown rice and water.
(I used a rice cooker but you could easily do this on the stove top)
When rice is getting close to being done, move oven shelf to second row and start broiler.
3. Rinse and dry red snapper fillets (you could use any flat fillets. Put juice of 1/2 lemon over the fish.
4. Mince together parsley and thyme and rub on fillets.
5. Bring to heat in an oven proof skillet a combination of 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp olive oil.
6. Add fish fillets - cook each side for a minute. Add vegetables, cook for another minute.
7. Finish dish under the broiler for approximately 2 minutes.
8. Plate and garnish with lemon slice.
Verdict - This was not only an extremely tasty meal but I had no guilt at all.