Friday, October 30, 2009

Beef Bourguigon





It's become a craze - seems everyone is recreating Julia Child's beef bourguignon. Since I'm not a big beef lover it just seemed unusual that this recipe could attract soooo much attention. I have Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" so I took a look at the recipe. OK, got it - looks like a bit of work but I can handle this. Then I started flipping through "The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook" that has a much more simplified version and claims not to lose in the flavour department.

Well... oh my .... let me just tell you .... to die for. It's really worth all the hype and Ina's recipe is not at all complicated.

Ingredients

1 3 lb. filet of beef, trimmed (I used sirloin)
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3-4 Tbsp good olive oil
1/4 lb bacon, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups good dry wine, such as Burgundy or Chianti (I used Chianti)
2 cups beef stock
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 spring fresh thyme
1/2 lb. pearl onions, peeled
8-10 carrots, cutt diagonally into 1-inch-thick slices
3 Tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced 1/4" thick (domestic or wild)



With a sharp knife, cut the filet crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices. Salt and pepper the filets on both sides. In a large, heavy-bottomed pan on medium-high heat, saute the slices of beef in batches with 2-3 Tbsp oil until browned on the outside and very rare inside, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove the filets from the pan and set aside on a platter


In the same pan, saute the bacon on medium-low heat for 5 minutes until browned and crisp. Remove the bacon and set it aside. Drain all the fat, except 2 Tbsp from the pan. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

Deglaze the pan with the red wine and cook on high heat for 1 minute, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add the beef stock, tomato paste, thyme, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered on medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Strain the sauce and return it to the pan. Add the onions and carrots and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes, until the sauce is reduced and the vegetables are cooked.

With a fork mash 2 Tbsp butter and the flour into a paste and whisk it gently into the sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes to thicken.

Meanwhile saute the mushrooms separately in 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp oil for about 10 minutes, until browned and tender.

Add the filet of beef slices, the mushrooms and the bacon to the pan with the vegetables and sauce. Cover and reheat gently for 5 to 10 minutes. Do not overcook. Season to taste and serve immediate.



Ina's notes:

To peel the pearl onions easily, first blanch them for a minute or two in boiling water.

This dish is excellent made in advance and refrigerated in the pan. When you are ready to serve, heat the filets and sauce over low heat for 10-15 minutes, until heated through.

Warning!!! This dish is highly addictive. The sauce is so flavourful I'd be happy just having the carrots with the sauce. Using a good wine here is a great tip. I should have made a double recipe. I wouldn't hesitate to make this again. It's out of control delicious. StumbleUpon

15 comments:

Julia said...

Giz, a lightbulb just went off! The beef stew recipe I submitted for Pschygrad's TTT3 has received so much traffic lately. At first I assumed that it was for the Jewish Holidays, but it still is getting more hits than any other recipe on my blog. You've solved my mystery -- it's Julie and Julia that's driving all the traffic! Too funny.

This looks very similar to the recipe I use..

Christo Gonzales said...

this is a popular one lately - but besides all that yours looks mighty tasty!

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Julia would be happy to enjoy this one too!

kat said...

I did the Julia version for Recipes to Rival & it was to die for but with the time it takes I won't be doing it that often so I have to try this version

MommyLisa said...

Ina is THE BOMB. I love me that woman!!! ;) Seriously, try out her turkey sausage lasagna recipe on Food Network's website. My husband devoured it.

That Girl said...

You're right, this is totally the craze lately! I heard it was served by the bride's father at the rehearsal dinner for the wedding I went to last weekend.

grace said...

this is such a contradictory dish—it’s suitable for the fanciest of occasions, yet it’s complete and total comfort food. lovely! :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Well Giz you have outdone yourself this time. I would have loved to pull up a chair and glass of red.

Lori Lynn said...

Looks great! I've made Julia's version, looking forward to trying Ina's. Thanks for the recommendation.

and happy halloween!
LL

Adam said...

Woo now that's a comfort cold weather dish buddy! I love how you were like "what's the big deal.... oh wait this is awesome".

Bacon and red wine and beef oh my :)

Bunny said...

Oh my word your making me crazy hungry here. This looks fantastic and who doesn't love easy and good! Thanks Giz!

Barbara said...

Ina's a winner all right. This recipe doesn't sacrifice flavor to save a little time. I love this served with her cornbread.
Great photos!!

Hopie said...

Definitely looks manageable and yummy. I've never made boeuf bourguignon, but if you say it's worth the hype... and out of control delicious?! Oh dear, now I have to make it.

hungryandfrozen said...

Ohhhh yum. I've still not seen Julie and Julia but it's nice that Julia Child is rocketing up the bestseller lists! This looks...just amazingly good.

Melissa said...

"It's out of control delicious."

See now, that's what I needed to hear. I've had it on the back burner for a while, thinking it would just be, well, beef stew. I was wondering what was so special about it, or if it was worth the effort. Sounds like it! I'm going to do the longer version, but the one from The Gourmet Cookbook.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark