Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Crab Cakes with Chipotle Mayonnaise


One of my favourite cookbooks in what's becoming a rather grand collection is the Canadian Living Everyday Favourites cookbook . It's one of my go to cookbooks; I'm always sure I'll be able to fill ingredient lists from this book.

I was helping a friend with a dinner party and decided that one of the appetizers would be crab cakes with chipotle mayo. If you've never had them, they're quick and easy and really delicious. They were also the first thing at the party to disappear. The chipotle mayonnaise is pretty versatile too - great for seafood and also a great dipping sauce for vegetables too.




1 pkg (7 oz/200 g) frozen crab meat, thawed
1/2 cup finely diced sweet red pepper
1/4 cup finely diced sweet green pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cups dry bread crumbs
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Chipotle Mayonnaise

2 chipotle peppers, finely chopped (or adjust if you like it with more heat)
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 Tbsp adobo sauce **
Dash Worcestershire sauce

Line rimmed baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside

Chipotle Mayonnaise: In small bowl, whisk together chipotle peppers, mayonnaise, adobo sauce and Worcestershire sauce, set aside

1. In sieve set over bowl, pick through crabmeat to remove any cartilage; press firmly to remove liquid. Transfer to a larger bowl
2. Add red and green peppers, onions, egg, 2 Tbsp of the bread crumbs and 3 Tbsp of the Chipotle Mayonnaise, stir until combined.
3. Form the crab mix by rounded 1 Tbsp into balls; roll in remaining bread crumbs. Place on prepared baking sheet; flatten to 2-inch diameter.
(Make ahead; Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours)
4. In nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat; fry crab cakes, in batches and using enough of the remaining oil as necessary, until golden, about 3 minutes per side.
Serve with remaining Chipotle Mayonnaise.

** For those who may not have used Chipotle peppers, you can buy them in the International section of your grocery stores. Chose the one that's in a can and packed in Adobo Sauce. StumbleUpon

11 comments:

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

I'm a sucker for crab cakes...the chipotle mayo looks divine!

Jessica said...

I LOVE Crap Cakes! These sound perfect!

cocoa and coconut said...

I love frittatas/cakes! These sound really fresh and great

Marysol said...

G&P,

I gave you a little award thingie:
http://sheeatsbears.blogspot.com/2010/08/little-award-thingie.html

Don't feel obligated to play along, I simply wanted more people to go and see your blog!

Nic said...

Those look wonderful, and the mayonnaise is the crowning glory, delicious!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have so many cans of chipotle pepers in adobo sauce waiting in my cupboards. They are so often unavailable when the time comes. Love these crab cakes since I am a sucker for a good one!!

nanny said...

Oh I love crab cakes....

FOODalogue said...

I haven't had much luck the few times I tried to make crab cakes but I've got to give it another try. After reading this post, I've got a hankering.

Pam said...

Your crab cakes look and sound delicious, especially with the chipotle mayo. I will be trying it! I'm a new follower and so glad to find your blog with its great recipes. Love those bars below and thanks for the recipes!

kat said...

I'm always looking for a good crab cake recipe!

Juliana said...

Oh! You just reminded me that I have a big can of crab meat that I got at Costco...well, just found out the fate of this can...the crab cakes look awesome!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark