Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Portuguese Soup




Oh no...not another Kale recipe!!!! I promise, I'll leave it alone for a while after this one. I'd heard about Portuguese Soup many times but this is my first attempt. I had absolutely no clue what ingredients to use but after combing the internet I found that there are many ways to make this soup. I took some ideas, changed others and came up with my own soup and my submission to Two for Tuesdays. Check out the inventive blog hopping creations HERE . You'll also meet the other members of the team who sponsor this weekly event and maybe even learn something new about Real Food!!!! AND if you're looking for a home made recipe for what looks like pretty incredible chorizo, Heather has one on today's post.



1 lb. chorizo (I couldn't find chorizo so used hot Italian sausage)
1 bunch kale
2 cups lima beans
1 c. chopped onions
2 tsp. chopped garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. butter
2 qt. chicken broth
2 lg. cans peeled tomatoes, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste (I didn't - the sausage is salty enough)


Soak dry lima beans in water overnight or use canned. In large pot saute the onions and garlic in oil and butter until softened (about 5 minutes). Add chicken stock and lima beans and cook until almost softened. (If you're using canned, rinsed beans, you'll skip the cooking until soft stage)

Tear leaves form kale and cut diagonally into slices. You should have 6 to 8 cups of kale. Set aside.

Take casing off sausage (not so easy with chorizo) and break up sausage. Fry for a few minutes in dry or lightly sprayed pan. Pour off any fat.

Add the chorizo to the stock pot and stir in the tomatoes. Add kale and cook for another 10-15 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Tip: The kale is probably better if cut on the diagonal into strips. I don't mind the chunky pieces but some may find it a little chewy.

This recipe will give you loads of soup - about 8 large yogurt containers full for the freezer.

Just for the record - crazy is a descriptor that's been used on me for making soup in 40 C weather. StumbleUpon

11 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Then I'm crazy, too!! You could not have posted this at a better time. I think I told you how much I love kale...well, I just happened to make 3 more pounds of chorizo today...so this soup is on the docket! It sounds so amazing...and I'm a total soup-head, so...woohoo! Thanks so much for sharing it with Two for Tuesdays, M!! =)

Red Delicious said...

I love caldo verde! A nice big bowl of this with some crusty bread and a glass of Portuguese wine? I do think so. :) Your version looks lovely.

FOODalogue said...

Good looking dish and Italian sausage is a perfect substitute for chorizo (so is pepperoni). I'm not a big fan of limas so I would have preferred garbanzos.

kat said...

yum, yum yum! this is a winter go-to for us & I freeze kale in the summer just to make it

Christy said...

I ate and ate and ate soup in Portugal - aka Portugese soup! You did a great job of creating this - I think I would like it better with the Italian sausage - unless of course Heather shares her chorizo!
Thanks for linking to Two for Tuesdays!

Dewi said...

I would mind if you post a lot kale dishes. I love kale, and oh, I especially love chorizo. Too bad you can't find this delicious and spicy sausage in your area. I think I'll wait to make this soup when the weather is getting colder :)

a moderate life said...

Giz, Kale is so yummy, so you keep on posting the kale recipes! I am simply drooling over this one and will totally be making it soon, after I make girlichefs homemade chorizo of course! Thanks for sharing this on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amdoeratelife

Hunger and Thirst said...

Waiter, I'll take a bottomless soup bowl of this soup please! Thank you for sharing at Two for Tuesday.

Julia said...

You're not crazy! I did the same thing last week - making this soup in 40C weather. (though, for some reason, I think my version was Italian). In the end it seemed like a great idea -- a light soup that used up a bevy of kale from the garden. Perfect for a hot summer evening.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Lil Burnt Toast's boyfriend makes this quite often so I have had the pleasure. Now that they have moved I guess this means I have to make it myself..which of course I woild be happy to do.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I make things like soup on the hot weather. This looks awesome! Thanks!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark