Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Holiday Favourites with the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club





 
One of my fondest Christmas memories takes me back to a Christmas Eve dinner I was invited to share with Italian friends.  I never refuse an invitation that gives me an opportunity to share cultural traditions that are foreign to me.  I was invited to a Feast of the Seven Fishes, the typical meatless meal served by many Christian cultures.  I was fascinated - by the symbolism of the seven sacraments and also the care with which this fish and seafood dinner is prepared and presented.




Cioppino is a wonderful seafood dish often associated with San Francisco and has as many variations as it does cooks who prepare it. Dead simple to make, cioppino is both impressive and delicious and needs only a slice of good sourdough bread to help sop up the sauce.




Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup prechopped onion
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1 pound mussels, scrubbed and debearded
  • 8 ounces sea scallops
  • 8 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp
  • 1/2 cup clam juice
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained

Preparation

Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper to pan; sauté for 2 minutes. Add mussels, scallops, and shrimp to pan; sauté for 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup clam juice, parsley, and diced tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until mussels open, and discard any unopened shells.




StumbleUpon

5 comments:

Susan Lindquist said...

Stellar stoup ... it is pretty perfect a presentation of seafood and yes, just perfect with a good slice of bread for dipping and slathering!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This sounds like an amazing tradition. Thank you so much for spicing up our dinner with this delicious dish!!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

This reminds me so of Italy ~ their traditional fish stew.
Perfect for a holiday treat!

That Girl said...

I used to spend every Christmas growing up with my friend's Italian family.

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I can't wait to experience this for myself when I am in Rome this year.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark