Friday, January 31, 2014

Picture Cook: See. Make. Eat.


E's language skills are taking off.  As a fairly quiet person, I have to make a conscious effort to talk a lot with her.  I spend a lot of time describing her surroundings, pointing out new words, and just having simple conversations with her.  I'm not sure how much she understands, but she often surprises me by repeating the words, using them in future settings, or responding appropriately to what I'm saying (e.g., pulling the step stool up to the counter so that we can cook together, picking up an object by the table and putting it into the garbage, etc.).  She's really getting into helping in the kitchen.  That Girl from Paved with Good Intentions recently had a good post on baking with babies.  Not only is cooking/baking a great skill to have, toddlers/kids love to have a job, some independence, and the praise that comes with doing anything well (Yay! You dumped the sugar in the bowl rather than all over the counter!)  Now I just need to psych myself up to make this Ikea Hack and we're good to go!

When I was first contacted to review a copy of a picture-based cookbook that is drawn rather than written, I thought that it was an interesting concept and possibly a good learning tool for E.  Picture Cook is unlike any cookbook I've seen before.   


   
I think this type of book has different benefits for different ages.  The pictures are monochromatic and relatively small.  So, the visuals themselves aren't great for a toddler.  But, she really liked flipping through the book    


She also took quite a liking to this page


I am looking forward to returning to this book when E is 3 + years of age.  Probably the prime age would be around 6 or 7 (or someone older who is very visual).  
StumbleUpon

1 comment:

That Girl said...

I'm dying for a learning tower. I just don't have the money to buy one of the fancy ones or the skills to make one of the hacks!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark