Thursday, May 29, 2008
Every time I go to Cupcake Bakeshop by Chokylit, I seem to get this little thought process going and before I know it, I'm in the kitchen checking the larder to see if I have enough of all the ingredients to replicate a particular recipe. This time was no different.
Whipping cream - check
strawberries - check
Unsweetened cocoa powder - check
Do I feel like doing this now? Hmmm... - Check
Am I out of my mind? - Check
Am I sorry I made them - abslutely not - except I have to give them away otherwise I'll eat them.
A chocolate cupcake (not from a mix) filled with diced strawberries mixed with chocolate ganache - are you kidding me??? I only wish I could take credit for this invention.
If you haven't visited her blog, do make a point of checking it out. She has amazing recipes on her site and a real flair for artistry.
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cupcakes
(this makes 8 regular cupcakes)
Preheat oven to 350 F
1/4 c (1/2 stick butter) room temperature
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup high quality unsweetened cocoa powder like the Vahlrona brand
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Beat butter until softened. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes)
2. Add egg and beat until well combined
3. Measure the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder into a small sized bowl. Stir to combine.
4. Measure out the milk and vanilla and stir to combine
5. Add about 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar and beat to combine. Add about a half of the milk/vanilla and heat to combine
Strawberry Ganache Filling and Ganache Glaze
4.5 oz (128 g) Valrhona 85% cacoa (or any bittersweet chocolate)
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cut strawberrries, dice.
1. Chop chocolate and transfer into a heat proof bowl (I used pyrex and it was fine)
2. Heat cream until bubbles form around the edge of the pan, pour cream over the chocolate.
3. Let sit for 1 minute and then stir until combined.
4. Add vanilla and salt. Stir until combined.
5. Divide the ganache in two approximate equal portions. In he first portion, mix in the chopped strawberries. Transfer to refrigerator to chill.
6. Leave the second portion on the counter to cool down. You want the filling to thicke up before the glaze. Once the filling is thick, fill the cupcakes wih it. Then glaze with the glaze. (see assembly instructions below)
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 cups powdered sugar (I used 2)
1. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy
2. Add the milk, vanilla extract and 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat at low speed, occasionally stopping to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, until light and fluffy. Add more powdered sugar to arrive at your desired consistency and sweetness.
1. Fill the cupcakes with the strawberry ganache filling using the cone method.
2. Spoon a tablespoon of glaze on each filled cupcake and smooth
3. Top with buttercream frosting