Tartelette is hosting this month's Sugar High Friday.
The theme is citrus.
A few weeks ago, I saw a recipe for an orange crumb cake at Everybody Likes Sandwiches.
Orange Crumb Cake
2 c flour
1 1/2 c brown sugar
zest of 1 large orange
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t cardamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 c olive oil
3 T orange juice
1 c yogurt
1 t vanilla extract
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly butter and flour a 8 or 9 inch round or square pan. Set aside.
2. Stir flour, sugar, orange zest and spices in a medium sized bowl. Add oil and orange juice and stir lightly until mixture forms clumps. Remove 1 cup of this mixture for the topping and set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine the yogurt, egg, vanilla, baking powder and baking soda until blended. Add the flour mixture to the yogurt mixture, stirring until batter is smooth.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan
5. Sprinkle with the reserved cup of topping.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Verdict: The cake is nice and moist. You can taste the orange, more as a subtle after-taste. That is mixed with the cardamom, which adds depth. I think next time I'll add raisins. I love raisins and probably come from a different planet than those who do not like raisins.