Friday, October 10, 2008

Honey Sesame Chicken




The other day while flipping through Stumble, I happened upon a wonderful blog called My Kitchen Snippets featuring Honey Sesame Chicken. It looked rather interesting, easy and even better, I had all the ingredients at home - bonus!! To my great pleasure, I found that this dish is absolutely delicious and indeed restaurant quality. I served it to the fussiest eater in the family - "J" who looked at me with wide eyes and said "Auntie Giz - this is really good". I'm sure I'll be making this over and over again.

And.... since I love to share a good thing, I'm sending over this one to Ruth at Ruth's Kitchen Experiments for the weekly event.



Ingredients:

3 pieces of chicken breast or 1/2 chicken - cut to bite size pieces
1 tbsp of light soy sauce
1 tbsp of cooking wine
1/2 tbsp of sesame oil
1 tsp of sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp rice flour
Salt & pepper to taste

Sauce:

3 tbsp of sweet chili sauce
2 tbsp of tomato ketchup
1- 2 tbsp of honey (depend on how sweet you want)
1 tbsp of oyster sauce
2 tbsp of light soy sauce
1/4 cup of water
some toasted sesame seeds

1. Marinate chicken with soy sauce, wine, sugar, sesame oil, salt and pepper and set it aside for at least an hour. Just before frying, whisk the 2 types of flour together and mix it into the chicken.
2. Prepare oil for frying. Fry chicken until golden brown, dish out and drain the oil in paper towels. Remove all the oil from the pan.
3. Mix all the sauce ingredients together and pour it back into the pan. Bring it up to a boil and let the sauce thicken a bit.
4. Add in the chicken and toss it gently until the chicken are evenly coated with the sauce. Sprinkle the sesame seeds to the chicken. Serve with warm rice.

Note : You can use bone in chicken, chicken thighs, chicken wings or even pork ribs for this dish. StumbleUpon

34 comments:

ICook4Fun said...

I am so glad this dish turn out well for you. No more Chinese take-out meal for your family :)

Anonymous said...

Haven't "discovered" Stumble yet--can't quite figure out what it is! But the chicken looks good, anyway!

Anonymous said...

Oh I bet the flavors are just delicious...my kiddos would love it...which means I need to make it.

alexandra's kitchen said...

I love when I have all of the ingredients on hand — it's so rare. these look yummy!

Darius T. Williams said...

Um, so yea - I've just been inspired. I don't wanna overkill on Asain on my blog - but I've got some oyster sauce, chicken breasts, and honey (from making my granola) that could totally be used up!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Yum! I'm going to make this soon. I was given some dark meat chicken parts and I need to use them up and make something that finicky eaters will gobble up. Thank you!

Adam said...

That first picture is so awesome, I just got a craving for Chinese. The color is so spot on and crispy :) Did you work in an Asian restaurant perhaps? I'd make it a fall back job...

Bunny said...

This looks so good! I'm bookmarking this one! I've got tons of chicken in the freezer to use up, Thanks Giz!

That Girl said...

This looks better than take-out!

Cakebrain said...

Oh, how I would like a serving of that right now! my tummy's been grumbling.

Peter M said...

I;ve seen alot of easy do-at-home Asian dishes which demystifies the whole combo#4 for me.

I always say homecooking is best!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

We would all love this. The ingredients are going on my shopping list

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh Lawd! LOVE sesame chicken. LOVE it. Yours looks incredible---it's gotta be good with honey in there! :D

kat said...

Oh that sounds wonderful, I'll have to try it!

Ivy said...

I made a similar recipe a few weeks ago but not with so many ingredients. Yours looks much better.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a yummy recipe. Must try!

Deeba PAB said...

Sounds finger-licking good...fantastic. Next on my chciken list-of-things to make. I love the simplicit & the look of the 'crunch'. WOW!!

Hopie said...

Oh I love that when I have all the ingredients on hand and I can test a recipe right away. Looks simple and delicious!

Lori Lynn said...

Looks good and homey.
Love it when all the ingredients are at hand!

OhioMom said...

Oh yum! Alas this will have to wait for another day.

Cakelaw said...

This looks absolutely delicious! I have never tried to make honey sesame chicken, having always bought it from the local Chinese, but if I could make it look half as good as this - well, maybe the local Chinese would lose my business.

grace said...

mmm...good find, and even better execution--it looks irresistible. nicely done, auntie giz. :)

krysta said...

what a good and easy dish that everyone would like. i love to stumble like that and find something new.

Anonymous said...

If the fussiest eater you know approves then I'm sure I'll like this. Didn't expect the tomato ketchup there. Is that the secret ingredient?

NĂşria said...

It's great you posted about this!!!! I just bought some Oyster's sauce I needed for steak tartare and didn't know what to do with the rest of the sauce... Hey, I'm happy I found this recipe in your blog :D :D... but I need to buy the chicken!

Vera said...

These do look yummy, Giz! I'm sure they tasted great as well.

Deeba PAB said...

Just made these for dinner...& they were a BIG hit!! Thanks for the discovery!

Rosie said...

Isn't it great when everything is to hand to make a delicious dish like this one!

Rosie x

test it comm said...

That honey sesame chicken looks tasty! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Dee said...

It does look good, doesn't it? You know, Elijah will love this. Thanks for spotting this, and sharing it with us.

Melissa said...

Mmmm. I want this one.

Laura Paterson said...

Yep, this is a great recipe!! Any y'know - except for the chicken, i think I have all the ingredients too...! :D

glamah16 said...

I love this type of dish. I could eat plates of it.

Anonymous said...

Chinese food in restaurants tend to be quite greasy, which is the perfect excuse to rather make your own at home. Healthier, cheaper and yummier!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark