Sunday, October 5, 2008

Les Fougères


Before we can tell you about our getaway last weekend to celebrate Giz's (Sept. 30) birthday and my (Oct. 3) birthdays, I should really finish telling you about R's birthday celebrations. In our family, most birthday are in September/October. Not terribly surprising considering how cold it is in January and February in Canada.

In addition to the Thousand Islands and Peanut Butter Cake, we tried a restaurant that had been on my "to try" list for quite a while now.

About a year ago or so, I received this cookbook:

I haven't tried any of the recipes from Les Fougères' cookbook, most of them are pretty intense - something I would save for a more elaborate evening or a special event (but I do have my eye on a Pink Grapefruit Souffle).

However, I finally had the opportunity to try out the actual restaurant. We went to celebrate R's birthday. It was such a good experience, I wanted to tell you all about it.


From the moment that we arrived at the restaurant, I had a good feeling about the place. It's in a quiet area near the border of Quebec and Ontario. Right beside the parking lot is a fairly large garden, where the owner grow their own vegetables and herbs.


Definitely a good sign when the food you'll be served is grown by the restaurant. Plus, if you look in the cookbook, you can see where they get all of their supplies and they're all local producers. Fresh, seasonal food, from local producers. Does it get any better than that?

For starters, I ordered a squash soup with curry flavouring (I forget the actual name). It was so good, I wanted another bowl. R ordered the Salad Fougères. After seeing lardon in the salad, he was sold.


Luckily, the recipe for the salad is also available in their cookbook. According to the cookbook, they've had this salad on their menu since they opened in 1993. They say that they often make this into a main course salad by topping it with a softly boiled egg and adding slices of avocado, red onion and caramelized garlic.

8 cups mixed salad greens
6 ounces of smoked bacon side
6 ounces fresh goat's cheese

Vinaigrette
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
salt and pepper

Whisk together mustard and vinegar. Slowly add oil, whisking gently all the while. Season to taste.

To prepare salad:
Slice bacon into lardons (cubes) and saute until golden and crispy. Toss salad with enough vinaigrette to coat leaves lightly. Divide salad between 6 bowls. Garnish with goat cheese, sauteed lardon bacon and a spoonful of the hot fat rendered from the lardons.

The salad included a fair number of bitter greens, which I thought balanced the goat cheese quite well.

For the main, both R and I got the filet mignon. I can't resist a well-made steak. It came with a pesto-like mixture and some pan-fried fresh vegetables. So good!


After dinner we checked out their onsite store. Not only can you eat in the restaurant, but they do make meals for you to eat at home. Gives a whole new meaning to take out.



Overall, a great dining experience. This restaurant will definitely be on my top 5 list.

I am also proud to announce that, after 5 years, I've completed R's scarf.


Since then, I've been on a knitting kick and took a class on how to make a simple tuque. Here's me wearing my first tuque.


I'm excited about picking a third, new project and making more tuques.

Also, since we're on the topic of new things, let me show you my envirosax. I won them in a competition on Kristen from Dine and Dish's site. Kristen has a lot of contests and I was beyond thrilled to win this one.


Five reusable bags fit into a holding sac. It makes for such an easy way to avoid using plastic bags. We already use cloth bags for grocery shopping. But, these bags are great because they are so compact.

Now, I keep one in my bag or purse all of the time. The cloth bags I have would be way too bulky. But the envirosaxs are so small. Very convenient.


Despite appearances, they open up to a fairly large-sized bag. I love the designs.


Also included in the prize was a 4 minute timer that you put in your shower to try to minimize your water consumption. Between R and I, one of us has been more successful than the other in showering within the 4 minute time limit.



Restaurant Les Fougères on Urbanspoon StumbleUpon

21 comments:

kat said...

Oh it looks like a lovely restaurant.
Congrats on finishing your toque & scarf! I'm about to start on two R2D2 hats after I finish weaving the ends in on two sweaters. Too many knitting projects!

Bunny said...

Well what can I say about the restaurant except WOW! And you're right you don't find to many restaurants that grow they're own veggies. Your knitting projects look great, I use to knit years ago, you're making think about starting again!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to all of you! I love the look of that restaurant--must try it out (my own bday is upcoming. . . ). And congrats on finishing the knitting projects!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Great restaurant! Your knitting projects are beautiful.

Darius T. Williams said...

Ahh - looks like a really great joint for some really good food - happy birthday too!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Wow that looks like a great place to eat. And that cookbook looks awesome. Congrats for the prize.

Hopie said...

Oooh, my mouth is watering! Looks like a great restaurant. I'm just finishing up a baby hat that I'll have to post pictures of when I'm done. Your projects look like they're coming out well!

That Girl said...

I love when restaurants have cookbooks so I can recreate dishes at home.

Anne Coleman said...

Happy Belated Birthdays! That looks like a perfect spot to dine.

Anonymous said...

Hello, this is chloe from envirosax, just wanted to say we are very pleased youlike your envirosax pouch so much.

Happy birthday

Chloe

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love the bags, the restaurant the salad......

Deeba PAB said...

Happy birthday Pschygrad, happy birthday to Giz...you share it with my DH on 3rd Oct! Just posted his bday cake. Great restaurant, wonderful recipes & fun all the way. Love the knitting projects. Cheers Deeba

Anonymous said...

Great place and I love that the word for cubes is lardons...it makes me laugh.

Adam said...

Thanks for clearing up lardon... I was like wha? Cheese? Ha my bad.

Everything looks great, I'm glad you guys had a rocking time. Especially steak... I want that. 4 minute showers sound like a nice way to help the planet, but man that's quick. Short hair has to be a must :)

Núria said...

Are you serious when you say it took you 5 years to finish the scarf? He, he that's fun :D. I started a sweater 2 years ago and still there ;D

It looks as if you had a wonderful meal, MMmmm I love celebrating birthdays this way... we always do the same... can't wait for Jan/Feb.

PG said...

Adam - you got it - R is only able to make the 4 minute limit if he doesn't condition his hair.

Nuria - I swear, I started in 2003. Of course, it sat in a bag for a long time, but I did start it 5 years ago.

Melissa said...

Definitely a good sign when the food you'll be served is grown by the restaurant.

There's a wonderful Thai restaurant like that near me, just opened about 6 months ago. I am always amazed at how the fresh herbs and vegetables just shine through in every dish.

And that salad sounds beauuutiful.

Happy late birthday to both you and Giz. Your birthday is on the same day as my best friend!

Lori said...

Happy Birthday! A tuque eh! Cool! The restaurant sounds amazing!

Rosie said...

WOW what a lovely restaurant. I would like to wish you all a very Happy birthday too :)

Congratulations on finishing the knitting projects I still have one on the go from a few years back *blush*

Rosie x

Cakelaw said...

Happy belated birthday Giz & Psychgrad! Love the two knitting projects - congrats on completing them. I learned how to knit when I was at school, but fear that I have forgotten now ...

Lori Lynn said...

The restaurant sounds delightful.
And Happy Belated Birthdays to all of you!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark