Friday, October 3, 2008

Pesto Stuffed Chicken with Roasted Vegetables




First impressions can be both misleading and dangerous. When I first saw Jamie Oliver, I had a hard time taking him seriously. I mean, he's not much older than Psychgrad. Then I made a good choice (one of the few). I said to myself - "self I said", if you take Psychgrad seriously, why then wouldn't you give Jamie Oliver the same acknowledgement. I mean, age is not an indicator of intelligence or talent. Then started the zombie like "must have Jamie Oliver cookbooks" mantra - need I go on.

I served this dish at our New Year's dinner (Rosh Hashana) and it was an outstanding hit.

Ingredients:

An array of colourful vegetables - i.e. carrots, red pepper, green pepper, sweet potato, regular potato, red onion, cherry tomatoes
2 cloves garlic (smashed but not peeled)
Olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper to taste

Cut up vegetables to the size you like
Add a glug of olive oil, s&p, and smashed garlic
Mix it all together to coat the vegetables and place in roasting pan.
Roast vegetables at 350 F until slightly tender (not mushy) approximately 35 - 40 min.

Stuffed Pesto Chicken

If you're like Psychgrad, you'll have alot of pesto in your freezer. If you're more like Psychgrad's mom, you'll probably be buying a jar at the grocery store or finishing up the last of your homemade pesto.

6 chicken breasts
6 heaping Tbsp pesto
Pepper

1. Create pockets on the thicker side of the chicken breast. Put in a heaping tablespoon of pesto evening it out in the pocket
2. Place in foil lined baking dish, sprinkle with pepper and cover with foil
3. Bake in 350 F oven for about 25 minutes - remove foil from the top and let the chicken brown slightly while roasting
4. Remove from oven and slice 3-4 slices per breast at an angle

To serve:

Place roasted vegetables on serving dish and top with sliced chicken

It's good, it's easy, it's nutritious and it's low fat. StumbleUpon

22 comments:

Bunny said...

This looks very good! I love roasted vegetables, I've never had pesto, but this looks to good not to try.

Ivy said...

You may get this message twice as I am not sure if it was sent. I said that this sounds like a very interesting recipe and I like all the flours of the pesto in the chicken breasts.

kat said...

It certainly helps that Jamie is such a doll! I got to meet him once & love hanging the picture of the two of us in my kitchen

krysta said...

what a great and tasty dish... pesto is like bacon...you can never have enough and it can improve almost anydish!

OhioMom said...

I like, I like very very much :) Roasted veggies win hands down in my house .. and love the pesto stuffed chicken breasts.

Anonymous said...

Gotta love that Jamie! Looks delish.

Darius T. Williams said...

Looks good - I'm doing chicken for the blog this weekend - but I have no idea how I'm gonna cook it.

I may steal this a bit - lol.

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

I've never made anything by Jamie Oliver, but others do tend to rave about him. I'm not surprised this was a hit. Nice.

glamah16 said...

This looks so good and healthy. I couldnt take him serioulsy at first with that whole Naked Chef thing, but hes great.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, i remember thinking, who is this guy? Now we know, looks great!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

That looks like a great dinner.

That Girl said...

We always do a chicken dish for Rosh Hashana dinner also! This is gorgeous.

Hopie said...

Oh wow, everything about that looks good! I love pesto; I love roast veggies; I love chicken. Yummy!

Adam said...

I have heard very good things about Jaime and his cooking skills, I'll have to check out the book too. The colors in your dish are very inspiring :)

Whew I'm happy age isn't a level of intelligence... 25/100 is def an F :)

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

Looks wonderful, it really represents Jamie Oliver well, simple homemade good-for-you cooking. I like his style but sometimes I find the stuff he does almost too simple, yet often it's the most surprising.

test it comm said...

That looks like a really nice meal. Pesto stuffed chicken sounds great!

Anonymous said...

I actually fell in love with Jamie Oliver when I first watched him cooking! -lol-

It looks very delicious!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Chicken, potatoes, pesto I am definitely in ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter M said...

Nicely stuffed and good colour array with the veggies.

The pesto no doubt gives chicken it's needed flavour.

grace said...

i've had pesto decorating the outside of a slab of chicken before, but never cooked inside. i'm quite sure i'd like it, nay, love it. great meal. :)

michael, claudia and sierra said...

why have i never stuffed chicken? answer me that question? ok, don't. but really... well it gives me all kindsa ideas...

i haven't had a rosh hashana dinner for so long it makes me kinda sad. i am nyc jew all the way but living in nashville away from family... when they call me to wish me a happy ny, i'm all like... oh yeah..... i forgot...

Anjanette said...

oh this looks so good and simple! I'm hungry now! :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark