Sunday, November 16, 2008

Christmas Cake Part I and a MEME




Canadian Living gave this cake a 5 star - good enough for me. This is actually part I of this post. Wrapped in rum soaked cheesecloth, it will sit in the fridge for a month before cutting and icing. Part II will come closer to Christmas.

Ingredients:

2 cups (500 ml) currants
2 cups (500 ml) mixed candied peel
1-1/2 cups (375 ml) coarsely chopped candied pineapple
1-1/2 cups (375 ml) red candied cherries halved
1-1/2 cups (375 ml) seeded raisins (Muscat or Lexia)
1 cup (250 ml) brandy or rum
2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking soda
1/4 tsp (1 ml) each ground allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup (175 ml) butter, softened
1 cup (250 ml) packed brown sugar
1/3 cup (75 ml) strawberry jam
2 tbsp (25 ml)fancy molasses
5 eggs
1-1/2 cups (375 ml) chopped walnut halves

Preparation:

1. In large bowl, combine currants, mixed peel, pineapple, cherries, raisins and 3/4cup (175 ml) of the brandy/rum; cover and let stand for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.



2. Line base and sides of 13 x 9 inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan with double thickness parchment paper. Set aside.

3. In bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt - remove 1/2 cup (125 ml) and toss with fruit mixture.



4. In separate bowl, beat together butter, sugar, jam and molasses until fluffy; beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in remaining flour mixture all at once just until incorporated. Add fruit mixture and walnuts; stir to combine. Scrape into prepared pan, smoothing top



5. Set shallow pan on bottom rack of 300 F (150 C) oven; pour in enough water to come halfway up sides of pan. Bake cake on centre rack for 1 hour. Lay foil loosely over cake; bake until cake tested inserted in centre comes out clean but a little sticky, 45-60 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack.



6. Remove cake from pan; peel off paper. Soak double-thickness 16 inch (40 cm) square of cheesecloth in remaining brandy, wrap around cake. Wrap in plastic wrap then foil. Refrigerate for 1 month (Make-ahead; Refrigerate for up to 3 months). Cut crosswise into 6 bars


Nuria from Spanish Recipes has tagged us with this meme.
This Meme has very simple instructions:

*List the Last 10 people who have commented on your blog.
*If you appear on my list, you are tagged and have to do this meme on your own blog too.
*So - who were my last ten commenters?

10) Katie from Good Things Catered
9) Alexandra's Kitchen
8) Nick from The Peanut Butter Boy
7) Ricki of Diet Dessert and Dogs
6) Ohio Mom from Cooking in Cleveland
5) Cakelaw from Laws of the Kitchen
4) Shambo from Please Don't Pass the Salt
3) Bunny from Bunny's Warm Oven
2) That Girl from Paved with Good Intentions
1) Hopie from Hopie's Kitchen

Now answer the following:

1. What is your favourite post from number 3's blog?

It's pretty tough to pick just one and I constantly drive her nuts telling her she'll be solely responsible for my out of control weight gain but...her Elvis Cupcakes are a formidable contender.

2. Has number 10 taken any pictures that have moved you?

This is a very tough question - all of them take great shots and I'm a Libra - you want me to make a choice?? puleez.

3. Does number 6 reply to comments on their blog?

Ohio Mom is one of the most consistent of bloggers - you can ALWAYS be sure to get a response from her injected with good common sense and lots of humour.

4. Which part of blogland is number 2 from?

That Girl is my neighbour to the south in the U.S. of A.

5. If you could give one piece of advice to number 7 what would it be?

Far be it from me to be giving Ricki advice but if I had to make a suggestion to her it would be to not be so hard on herself by imposing deadlines that could drive her nuts.

6. Have you every tried something from number 9's blog?

I haven't as yet but that doesn't mean it's not in my tagged files.

7. Has number 1 blogged something that inspired you?

Recently when Psychgrad came for a visit, we were inspired to try Hopie's Apple Walnut Muffins . We both loved them and if you hurry, I still have a few in my freezer. I'll even put on a fresh pot of coffee.

8. How often do you comment on number 4's blog?

I visit Shambo's blog quite often. We both share an awareness of the dangers of sodium so I'm always checking to see what she's got on the stovetop.

9. Do you wait for number 8 to post excitedly?

Let's say I'm always intrigued by what form peanut butter will take in the next post from Nick. He just never disappoints me.

10. How did number 5's blog change your life?

Cakelaw continually changes my life by giving me foods to try that will grow my pant size. Well...it's a change isn't it? It's also a compliment that the food she prepares is exciting enough to make me want to replicate it.

11. Do you know any of the 10 bloggers in person?

The only blogger on my list that I've actually met is Ricki from Diet, Dessert and Dogs.

12. Do any of your 10 bloggers know each other in person?

Do I look like The National Enquirer?

13. Out of the 10, which updates more frequently?

Oh gosh - each one of them is great at posting often.

14. Which of the 10 keep you laughing?

Yikes - I think that both Ricki at Diet, Dessert and Dogs and That Girl from Paved with Good Intentions both keep me in hysterics.

15. Which of the 10 has made you cry?

The only tears I've really been brought to from this list is not being able to get my fist through the monitor to grab some of the most amazing home made goodies. StumbleUpon

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great meme, Giz! Glad I make you laugh, too--it is SO important, no? And I always get a chuckle out of you, too--oops, I mean, out of your blog!! ;)

Believe it or not, I am one of the 114 people worldwide who actually LOVES fruitcake! I'll be waiting with bated breath to see how this one turns out in a month or so. :)

priscilla joy said...

fun meme, i have been enjoying seeing everyones. i need to get mine done!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I used to make a 2 toned fruitcake every October..half white and half dark. It sliced like butter by the time Christmas came along:D

Bunny said...

Yes this is a great meme, thanks for tagging me! I've never made fruitcake, I actually like it too!

kat said...

I'll be interested to hear how this fruit cake turns out, they get sure a bad rap.

Pam said...

I've never made a fruitcake but I had it when I was little and I loved it. This looks really tasty and colorful.

Cakelaw said...

What a gorgeous, dark fruit cake. I like the idea of wrapping it in a rum-soaked cloth for a month - I like my Christmas fare to be boozy ;)

OhioMom said...

Put on that coffee, and thaw those muffins, I am swimming across the lake for a bite of those :)

I love fruitcake, it just belongs on a holiday table.

Ivy said...

My fruit cake is very similar to yours. I am a bit late to make mine and I will make it the next couple of days.

Hopie said...

That cake sure looks festive! I'll look forward to reading about part II.

grace said...

you've created what appears to be a dense, bejeweled treasure of a cake. it looks lovely. :)

Darius T. Williams said...

Your christmas cake is looking great! fun meme too!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

A month? Wow, that sounds like it's going to be fabulous! I love fruit cake.

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

That's a darn long baking time, I don't think I'd have the patience. But I guess when the primary ingredient is time, there's a good reason for it and it's probably worth the effort.

That's a bum-load of questions to answer, is this another midterm? I knew I should have waited 3 more comments...

Natalie Que said...

Hi! Did I already respond to your comment on my blog via email? I'm not as organized about this as I should have been and have lost track. Hopefully if I did, I say the same thing or something similar so it matches up and isn't totally off! Forgive me!

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to give your two-cents on the whole situation with the blogs and commenting. It has been a really interesting struggle and I think an unfortunate catch-22 for me. Since getting it off my chest, I feel relieved of the burden! I was also so glad to know I wasn't alone and that so many others were going through it, although maybe dealing with it differently. Anyway, I appreciated it, so thanks!

Ruth Strong said...

Hey, I've been getting things together to make my Christmas cake - first time I'll have ever made one instead of buying one. Yours looks great, never seen a recipe for one with pineapple!

Great Meme too!

Anonymous said...

So, it's time for fruit cake already? Can't we just bring out the one from last year? ;)

Anonymous said...

LOL - you make me laugh. Love these answers!

test it comm said...

I think I am going to have to try making a Christmas cake. It sounds good!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark