Thursday, November 13, 2008
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 large egg whites at room temperature
1 cup sugar or sugar substitute
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tbsp canola oil
1/4 tsp lemon extract (optional)
1 cup grated zucchini, lightly packed
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat 2 mini 6x3 loaf pans (I used one larger one)
2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl.
3. Whisk egg whites, sugar, applesauce, oil and lemon extract in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients; slowly, mix in the zucchini mixture with a rubber spatula. Fold in walnuts. Do not overmix. Transfer batter to prepared pans.
5. Bake the loaves until a toothpick comes out almost clean - 40-45 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely.
Verdict: It's a very tasty loaf - great with coffee and most comforting when you have a hot coffee and a need to remove yourself from stress. It's not too sweet and just what I needed today.