Monday, April 21, 2008

Hummus & Pita



I've been wanting to make hummus pretty much since I started food blogging. I first saw Katie's hummus and more recently have seen Holler's hummus and Kittie's hummus. There isn't a huge difference between the main ingredients of hummus, but I decided to go with Katie's recipe. I star so many of her recipe and look in aww at her cake decorations, I knew that her recipe would be a safe bet.

Hummus



Ingredients:
1 12-oz can chick peas
1-2 large cloves garlic
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp+ tahini (sesame paste)
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:

-Drain water from the can of chick peas into a small bowl and reserve.
-In a food processor (or blender), mix together the chick peas with the remaining rest of the ingredients, being careful to add second half of lemon juice and tahini slowly, stopping to taste.



-Slowly add some of the reserved liquid from beans and a bit of water for correct consistency,(about 1-2 minutes) until a smooth, slightly fluid paste is formed.

Note: to dress the hummus up for the table, the traditional way of serving is on a plate, with an extra drizzle of olive oil on top and a sprinkle of paprika and chopped parsley.



I spent a bit of time adding ingredients and although I will need to make this a few more times to perfect the recipe, I'd say this recipe is a winner.

I paired this hummus with za'atar pita. I combined za'atar spice with olive oil, spread it on whole wheat pita and put it in the oven for 8-10 minutes at 350F. Za'atar pita is a great combination with hummus. But, then again, there are so many food options that are great with hummus.

I'll be submitting this post to Cookthink Root Source Challenge #10.

StumbleUpon

15 comments:

Peter M said...

There are many variations on Hummus, try them all...a very forgiving and easy dip. I like a oinch of cumin in mine.

Katie B. said...

Hummus is one of my favorite things to have for lunch during the week - I always buy it (by the tub) though!

RecipeGirl said...

Easy, huh? It's delicious. I could eat hummus for dinner with a handful of veggies to dip.

Last fall I made Pumpkin Hummus for a party. Interesting stuff.

Pixie said...

can never get enough hummus...i can't believe i gave you your first award!

Núria said...

Hola Psychgrad! Never tried to cook humus myself, but I remember eating it once many years ago... maybe it's high time to try and cook it myself... this afternoon I'm going to one of Barcelona's big market and will buy the chickpeas there... they sell them cooked and are the softest on earth :D!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yay! I'm glad you liked it! Try refidgerating for at least 30 mins before serving (although I know it's near impossible to wait). It makes a BIG difference in the taste. :) Also...I add a few "secret" ingredients to mine, so it's defintiely a dip worth experimenting with! :)

Neen said...

My Mom used to make Hummus all the time, as a snack to keep us starving kids off her back till dinner was ready. Great distraction tool!

That Girl said...

I think this was one of the first recipes I ever made on my own. We always had it on hand, and I can imagine my mom handing me the ingredients, a bowl, and the immersion blender and telling me to go crazy.

Elle said...

That looks great! I adore hummus. Adore it! Give me a bowl of hummus and some pita chips, and I'm a happy girl!

test it comm said...

Hummus is one of my favorite snacks. I like to add "other" flavours to it sometimes. Those za'atar pitas look good as well.

Anonymous said...

we actually make our hummus w/o tahini (which would make it more of a chickpea spread than anything else). It is still So delish. Sometimes I'll add a splash of sesame oil to get that sesame taste that hummus does!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love hummus as well ladies. Shame of shames I usually buy mine from a local Greek restaurant. It is so easy to make I should rethink that:D

Laura Paterson said...

Mmmm - I think I may have to go and make another batch - just so I can make the za'atar pitas to go with!! :)

Then eat the whole lot by myself!

Anonymous said...

I love hummus! It's also great with some sauted mushrooms and onions on top.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love hummus, it's my favourite dip and this one looks just fabulous.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark