Friday, April 25, 2008

Matza Brie


Ok Kate, this post is for you... A kosher for Passover recipe.

For as long as I can remember, Giz would make me and actorboy matza brie (a.k.a. fried matza) around Passover. It's kind of like the kosher for Passover version of french toast. I like to eat it with sugar sprinkled on top. But, it's flexible because matza doesn't have a very strong flavour on it's own, so feel free to make adaptations (adding meat, vegetables, herbs, etc.).



First, you break up the matza into smaller chunks. Depending on how hungry you are, I would go with 1-2 pieces of matza/person. Put the matza into a collander in the sink. Pour hot water over the matza to soften it. Be careful to not pour too much water. You want the matza to be soft, but not mush.



Whisk approximately 1 egg/piece of matza together and put soften matzas (matzot?) into the egg. I spent a bit of time separating the matza and making sure it was all well coated with egg.



Spread out matza-egg in a frying pan that has been prepared with melted butter or vegetable oil.



Allow everything to fry until the one side is a nice golden brown. Once the desired colour is achieved, flip the matza (this may require that you cut the matza in half in order to maintain the "brie structure" post-flip.



Add whatever you want on top of your matza. Without some sort of flavour (syrup, herb, sugar, preserve, etc.), matza brie will not be very flavourful.



Personally, I like to sprinkle sugar.



Also, with the warmer weather, a nice smoothie would be a great accompaniment to the matza brie. Truth be told, R and I eat smoothies throughout the year (he loves having a smoothie after playing hockey).



My smoothie tips are:

- Use at least some frozen fruit. By using frozen fruit, you don't have to add ice, allowing for a thicker consistency.

- Our smoothies are usually comprised of frozen strawberries (we flash freeze a bunch in the summer to last us the winter) and fresh bananas. I've also added mango or blueberries to the smoothie strawberry banana mixture. Mango was great...blueberries did't do much to change the flavour. The last component is apple juice. We add about 1/2-3/4 cup of apple juice. StumbleUpon

10 comments:

test it comm said...

That smoothie looks good. It has been a while since I last made a smoothie. In a few months we'll a bunch of fruit to make them with.

Lori said...

I love smoothies. I freeze a lot of strawberries in the Spring and eat them all winter long in the smoothies. I have traded ice cream for smoothies as it is a lot less fat and sugar.

Are you going to join tuesdays with dorie, you should. Its fun.

giz said...

Lori - re TWD - still thinking about it - I don't want to commit to something unless I can fully follow through. I just committed to Daring Bakers

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Wow thats such a cook idea! The smoothies look great too!

Pixie said...

I'm enjoying these Matza recipes- who would ever know there were a number of ways to enjoy matza other than with some cheese. ;)

grace said...

nobody wants matza mush. :)

i'm completely unfamiliar with matza, so all these recipes for passover are very interesting to me. this one is particularly appealing because i love me some french toast. good stuff!

Anonymous said...

I love the creativity that has come with the matza everyone has a different idea.

Elle said...

Those both look delicious! Making me hungry...

That Girl said...

I love it!

Thanks!

Lori Lynn said...

Love the fruit on top.

I am smiling because we buy Streit's Matzos too! I'm just now posting your Matzoh Crunchies on my blog. Thanks for participating :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark